PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood grain mill

VenomZA
9th May 2015, 09:25
Hi Guys,

Just wondering, is anyone out there using a Kenwood grain mill?
I already have the Kenwood mixer, and since the mill is nice and compact, and I dont mill or plan to mill tons of grain it seems quite cool?
http://www.takealot.com/kenwood-chef-major-grain-mill-attachment-at941/PLID27961017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjcYD41B3vA

What do you guys think?

that guy al
9th May 2015, 09:57
in brewing, you only want to lightly crack the grain open, you don't want to make flour. my only concern with using and attachment made for producing flour is that you're going to end up doing just that.

VenomZA
9th May 2015, 10:41
in brewing, you only want to lightly crack the grain open, you don't want to make flour. my only concern with using and attachment made for producing flour is that you're going to end up doing just that.

Yeah, just read some reviews on it.,and some comments on other forums. seems to mill the grain too fine. and takes too long if you want to do a decent amount of grain.

SimonB
9th May 2015, 10:44
Nothing wrong with a properly adjusted Corona Mill

VenomZA
10th May 2015, 09:35
Hi guys.

What is the going price or price you will pay for a grain mill? One of those with the big hopper and rollers where you attach the drill to?
They seem hard to come by in SA?
My brother stays in china, might have him send me one, only problem the shipping costs like double what the mill costs since it weighs about 3.5kg.

that guy al
10th May 2015, 10:59
i'm thumb-sucking here but for a mill with a hopper you're probably looking in the region of about 2 - 3k.

that guy al
10th May 2015, 11:07
or you could get one of these at a fraction of the price:

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthread.php?992-Victoria-Grain-Mill

VenomZA
10th May 2015, 11:17
i'm thumb-sucking here but for a mill with a hopper you're probably looking in the region of about 2 - 3k.

Yeah I can get one shipped here for between 1500 - 2000.
Or a corona mill for about 600. So will probably go with the corona as I wont be milling allot.
The only reason I want a mill is not to buy 500g milled packets of grain and have half or more of it go to waste if I want to brew a specific beer. Would rather keep it un-milled until I need it again.

JIGSAW
10th May 2015, 16:35
Yeah I can get one shipped here for between 1500 - 2000.
Or a corona mill for about 600. So will probably go with the corona as I wont be milling allot.
The only reason I want a mill is not to buy 500g milled packets of grain and have half or more of it go to waste if I want to brew a specific beer. Would rather keep it un-milled until I need it again.

But why do you have the whole packet milled? If you buy 1Kg of specialty grain and your recipe calls for 300g, the LHBS only mills the 300g with your base malt & then gives you the other 700g un-milled ?
The next time you need that same grain again, you just take it with for them to add with the rest of your order ... that's how i do it at least. I never have milled grain laying around. :thumbsup:

SimonB
10th May 2015, 17:17
You could rather ask why buy 500g milled grain when your recipe only calls for 300g?

If you don't have a mill, fresh, milled grain and multiple brews become a logistical problem. The trend is LHBS are getting less accommodating WRT milling grain for others, especially FOC.

That being said, I have kept milled grain in sealed (not quite vacuum packed) packets for more than two months with no ill effects. So I'd argue that VenomZA is probably chucking away perfectly good milled specialty grain unnecessarily.

VenomZA
11th May 2015, 08:38
You could rather ask why buy 500g milled grain when your recipe only calls for 300g?

If you don't have a mill, fresh, milled grain and multiple brews become a logistical problem. The trend is LHBS are getting less accommodating WRT milling grain for others, especially FOC.

That being said, I have kept milled grain in sealed (not quite vacuum packed) packets for more than two months with no ill effects. So I'd argue that VenomZA is probably chucking away perfectly good milled specialty grain unnecessarily.

Luckily haven't chucked away any grain yet. have only done 2 brews, so pretty new to the scene.
According to beer Beerguevara all grain should be milled? no Partial milling?

SimonB
11th May 2015, 10:18
Yes that means you buy the grain milled, or not. I do understand their thinking.

Look at my Victoria Grain Mill thread. I'm very happy with my mill

defender110
11th May 2015, 12:34
anyone thought about using apaper shredder to crack grains ?

that guy al
11th May 2015, 16:47
According to beer Beerguevara all grain should be milled? no Partial milling?

i don't understand that thinking either. i mean, it's not like they're providing milling as a free service. back in the day they never used to be so fussy about their milling but lately they've become full of nonsense for some reason.

Setsumi
12th May 2015, 13:48
Brewmart has a crankandstein 2s for 1.8k. You have to do your own hopper but 2 5l waterbottels from spar works fine. It does not have a lever or knob to set the gap but if you need to you can punch the bearing out. I have a carona but the roller mill just works better.

VenomZA
12th May 2015, 15:09
Brewmart has a crankandstein 2s for 1.8k. You have to do your own hopper but 2 5l waterbottels from spar works fine. It does not have a lever or knob to set the gap but if you need to you can punch the bearing out. I have a carona but the roller mill just works better.
Yeah I had a look. They are out of stock on all their mills. Think Ill just have my brother send me a roller mill, from china. Pitty the shipping will cost more than the mill. But what can you do hey!