DIY grain mill hopper and base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY grain mill hopper and base

Built my mill up using a Crankenstein 2D. Thought I'd share it with you in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same thing.

P1040010.jpg

P1040017.jpg
    P1040031.jpg

P1040032.jpg
    Bryan
    Last edited by Bryan; 7 June 2013, 14:10.
    "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

My next project...
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Love it !!

I need to get mine connected a drill .....
      Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Drawings

Here are my drawings for the Crankenstein 2D, maybe will help someone with ideas. Obviously will have to be adapted for your hopper.
        Attached Files
        "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

Good day everyone

Nice setup Bryan.

I am also looking for a grain mill, but yet to be found. I have found a few on the interwebs, but they are priced at over R1000 which is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

I have found a few which is hand operated ( they have electric ones also) on Amazon, and can be connected to a drill, but I am looking for a locally sourced one, if possible

Does anybody know where I can find one or parts to make my own. I am based in Cape Town

Any help appreciated.

Keep on beering

Comment

The cheapest one in country:
            http://www.africanhomebrewing.co.za/...category_id=38
            Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

The only issue may be no adjustment.

Comment

I've never adjusted mine since the day I got it. Maybe it was right from the start ...
                Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Thanks FaanP

I saw that one on africanhomebrewing, but their site looks funky in my browsers (IE & Chrome), so not sure if I will trust them with payment information if they cannot fix their site's css.

Does it look the same on your browsers? Has anyone ordered from them yet?

Comment

It is due to certificate errors - In IE I just tell it display blocked content and then it works fine.

I've ordered from them before and I thought their service was brilliant - recieved my tracking no the next day. I think you can feel comfortable ordering from them. But they are in the Cape somewhere - maybe drop them a mail and go and have a look?
                    Busy rebuilding ....

Comment

Ahh, my mistake, site is fine, thanks FaanP. Will definitely be making use of them

Comment

Originally posted by FaanP View Post
                        I've never adjusted mine since the day I got it. Maybe it was right from the start ...
                        I got one from Vincent which already had a small hopper, apparently it is locally made (probably the same one as AHB). Crushed the grain too fine and destroyed quite a lot of the husk, maybe I was just a bit unlucky or maybe the drill speed was too high. Anyway changed it for a CS, very happy now although price was very different to R550. Bet yours was a little more than R550 as well .

Comment

had my Mill made by a friend(toolmaker). the knurling on the roller was too fine and after having it done over, worked like a charm. i still have issues with setting the gap, and found that passing the grist through twice, i got a much much much better efficiency. in fact Beersmith tells me it is almost 88%. i still use the setting on beersmith on 72% and that normally leaves me with a bigger batch after sparging than what i planned for.so my 25 liters become 30 odd liters etc. the mill cost me a few brews that i happily shared with my buddy and i still supply him with the occasional 6 pack of 750 mls after every brew session.
                          Drinking: nothing

In Primary: Milk Stout; American Wheat; Bells Two Hearted IPA, Black IPA,Scottish Ale
                          Planned: Dunkellweizen, old English bitter.

Comment

I bought a mill from african-home-brewing. One of the locally made ones. Really wasn't very impressed and am going to have to replace it at some point. It does the job for now, but I found the gap way too large.

If you find the gap too small, try conditioning your grain before.. basically hydrating the husk. You can set your mill all the way down to 0.6/0.65mm if you get it right and your husks still keep there form, but a great crush
                            Setup: 3x 80L SS vessle arduino temperature controlled HERMS. 1x 50L SS & 2x 20L plastic fermenter

Fermenting: IPA (mosaic, US4/78, xja2/436) -50IBU's OG- 1056
                            Drinking: Belgian Blonde Strong Ale, Blonde beater sour ale, Amber Rye Candi Ale
                            Next: APA (anything with lots of hops)

Comment

Really like the adjustability of the CS. I've got mine set at 1,1mm (standard) and get a good crush. Been having problems with too much trub from fine grain (BIAB). Affects the efficiency a little, I am around 73%. Maybe I must try conditioning.

Comment

Working...
                              X