Cooling coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooling coil

Busy designing/building a new brewstand and was wondering if using stainless tubing inside the boilkettle is a good idea?

It will be a 3 tier, so no pumps at the moment.
    Currently have a copper coil immersion chiller, but with the brewstand design I won't have a lot of space putting the coil into the BK.
    SO fixing the SS coil inside the BK sounded like a good idea.

SS has about 10 times less thermal conductivity than aluminium.

If SS is not such a good idea, will aluminium work better? Will it corrode over time? It should not, but still a chance?

Or should I just try and design the stand so that I can still use the copper immersion chiller....

I have seen loads of setups online that use a SS coil for HERMS. I wouldn't go Aluminium.
    bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
    Secondary: Apple & Cranberry Wine, Strawberry Wine, Mead,
    Conditioning:
    Bottled/Kegged: Black Ale/BIPA (SYSF)
    Next Up:​ ?Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout?

Comment

I've seen this as well, but this will purely be for cooling. No recirculating mash etc. Cold water in one end out of hosepipe, hotwater out other end

Comment

Why not just use the cheapest most efficient material you have? Copper...
        Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

I currently do have a copper immersion chiller, but with the new brewstand design and using a KEG as a BK, theres no a lot of space ABOVE the BK to easily dunk the immersion chiller into the BK.

And thinking long term, I don't want to lug around a damn immersion chiller if I can fix it to my BK...
          One can probably fix the copper into the BK, but it's soft refrigeration copper, besides the stainless tubing costs about R45 EXVAT per meter @ eMetalsCape which is not hela expensive considering...

- - - Updated - - -

besides, copper is most certainly not THAT cheap anymore....

Comment

Cooling coil

Copper is still vastly cheaper than stainless and alu. If you want to build in a coil alu and SS is stupidly expensive. Copper is less than r20

But considering SS thermal efficiency, If you want to waste about 75% more per meter, be my guest.
            Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Working...
            X