Hello gents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello gents

First time brewer looking for a new hobby and very quickly becoming obsessed.

Current Brew Kit: Mangrove Jack Starter Kit (Currently fermenting in this cold-ish weather)
    Planned /future brew kit: 50l Logik urn with a few mods + Nylon Brew Bag. Looking into cooling ideas.

Keen to learn enough to brew a Lager and a Candy Orange IPA for December.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Cheers!
    "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Welcome! It's a great hobby - welcome and I hope you enjoy your stay!

Comment

Welcome to the forum, have fun
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Welcome.

Not sure if you have checked out John Palmer's book on brewing. Great for starting out brewers. Link below

http://howtobrew.com/book/introduction
        Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Welcome!

Ditto what Beerholic said. Palmers book is kinds of considered the Bible of homebrewing and full of great knowledge.
          Cheers,
          Lang
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by billionairebum View Post
            First time brewer <>

Cheers!
            Welcome

Originally posted by billionairebum View Post
            <> Looking into cooling ideas.

<>
            Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Cheers!
            No-chill is a cheap and easy option

+1 on the 'JP Book' recommendations
            The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Let me join the Choir... Welcome! enjoy the forum!

I second Jigsaw's recommendation with regards to using no-chill method to get wort down to pitching temp. And what homebrewer didn't read How to brew..? The beersmith podcast can also keep you busy for a while.

Another book I'd recommend would be Brewing Classic Styles by Jamil Zainasheff. IMO, with good recipe's from the book sorted, your time would provide best return, focused on cleaning/sanitation, yeast and fermentation management.

Comment

Welcome welcome agree with rest of guys palmers how to brew and Jamils brewing classic styles are the first two books you should get, there’s also another book called beer by bamforth , that’s not bad even gives the history of beer, with regards to the 50 l logic urn I also used that set up myself and it worked very well, just make sure your bag during mashing doesn’t touch the base otherwise urn will trip

Comment

1: Thank you for the reading material! Will have a look through it.

2: Thank you for the warm welcome gents!
                  "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

HeHe, love the "signature"
                    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Working...
                    X