SABMiller Flying Fish Crushed Orange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SABMiller Flying Fish Crushed Orange

I just tasted the latest SABMiller beer and I need opinions. Please tell me what you think of this product.

SAB.. Cough splutter puke...
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

That is not very fair!

SAB makes beers that the masses ask for. If MOST South Africans wanted ESBs, porters or barley wines, SAB would have brewed them. But unfortunately, most people want a fizzy drink with +- 5% alcohol that smells and tastes like "beer".

In any way, I have a fondness for Black Label and Castle Stout. Both are on the sweeter side, but it is a good alternative every now and again.

But enough protecting the Second biggest boy! The beers that SAB presented at Joburg Festival of beer were not very good. I wanted to go to the Spar Bierfest just to taste the SAB beer that they brew for the event but I decided that my sanity and wallet is worth more than my obsession with beer!

Comment

I know it's a bit off topic, but I'm with Simon on this one...

The "masses" are a bit ignorant (limited as my knowledge is at present, it's still vastly different) as to what a good beer should taste like. Those masses have been brainwashed by clever advertising campaigns (visual on TV, and promotions at pubs) into thinking that what they are drinking is "it". "It", however, does not have the same (IMO) finesse, character, taste or experience of a homebrew/microbrewery product. It is brewed for the masses to get slaughtered into thinking they are enjoying a beer for the sake of the beer, where in actual fact they are just obeying the advertisers and swilling it to get drunk.

Sadly, the microbrewers will probably never be able to afford those costly campaigns spewed out by the advertisers on behalf of mass producers like SABMiller. However, I have no problem with that, as it means more of the good stuff for us...
        Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

I am fence sitting to a degree on this topic.

On one side I think SAB lagers are a good representation of what BJCP says a Pale Lager should be. Obviously some are more flavourful, others less. I have experienced MAJOR consistency issues with their products, but that I blame on the infrastructure, not the brewer. Castle Stout is a good sweet stout.

As a company they do good as well: Spending thousands rands on tents, seating, etc. that they then provide to beer festivals like Joburg Festival Of Beer. Selling malts and hops to micro and home brewers because they get it so cheap (and they have so much). Having tasting sessions of SAB and micro-brewed beer IN SAB (Sandton).

On the other hand, SAB has played some SERIOUS douchebag moves in the past (long ago and recent). They are well known for killing competition by nefarious sales techniques. They have the power to basically give their beer away for free just so that a brewery has little/no sales. They can ensure that your products are not served in any of the bars/clubs/restaurants that they have products in. They can cut your infrastructure, or the infrastructure of the places that do want to help you.

But, focussing on beer; I stick to my opinion that they provide a good product. I would however state that you have to get the product fresh!

Comment

First off, Carling Black Label is actually a Canadian brew.
            Secondly, a friend and I discussed the topic of inconsistency within the same Black Label sixpack. Which is strange considering that Castle Lager, also brewed by SABMiller, does not exhibited the same apparent inconsistency in quality. Is it because Castle is South African or not? I do not know.
            The pale lager still sell, because people drink it. We have become accustomed to pale, relatively tasteless beer offered by the commercial brewer that is overly carbonated and tends to bloat a lot of the consumers.
            Like Slainthe mentions, the advertisement campaigns help sell the beer to the masses. The rise in popularity of Castle Lite is a good case in point.
            Craft breweries brew beer to personal taste. Take it or leave it. That is good beer. Dogfish Head leads the revolution (In the US). It is catching up everywhere.
            It will only be a matter of time before SABMiller sponsors an event for craft brewers to compete in to see who will 'brew' the new SABMiller offering.
            As to infrastructure and freshness, SABMiller has got a very good infrastructure in SA. Cold beer in all the distributors' fridges insures fresh, cold beer to the masses.
            But, this still does not insure a proper brew. I like SABMiller, I usually buy it because you can buy a SABMiller brew almost anywhere in SA, but if I can, I buy something else.
            Give me a proper (usually craft) brew anyday. Gilroy's, Drayman's, Cockpit Brewhouse, Brauhaus am Damm, Duvel, Brewers&Union, Kilkenny, Guinness, Boddingtons, any Trappist brew and many more.
            But, many
            (Tired of typing... end of post)
            Primary: Bohemian Lager
            Secondary: Bohemian lager/ Ale fusion - Added US-05 to secondary
            Next up: Bohemian Lager
            Then: Bohemian Lager
            And Then: Bohemian Lager
            Conditioning: Chucked Fruit Ale

"What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art."
            "What's the use of having a mind when you can't change it?"

Comment

Nice one Brennan!

I agree with SAB having a great infrastructure, but if the bottle store leaves pallets of beer in the sun, all the hard work goes to naught.

Have a pint! I am sure your fingers will appreciate it.

Comment

I have not touched a SAB beer for probably 10 years at least, other than Castle Milk Stout

Comment

Originally posted by Brennen View Post
                  First off, Carling Black Label is actually a Canadian brew.
                  Weeelll... Carling was a Yorkshireman...and his brew only really took off when he moved back to London late in the 19th century.

That's like saying boerie is British because some Saffer moved to London

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
                    Weeelll... Carling was a Yorkshireman...and his brew only really took off when he moved back to London late in the 19th century.

That's like saying boerie is British because some Saffer moved to London
                    Well, it was well known throughout the British Empire (former).
                    Pork banger for me. Thank you kind sir.
                    Primary: Bohemian Lager
                    Secondary: Bohemian lager/ Ale fusion - Added US-05 to secondary
                    Next up: Bohemian Lager
                    Then: Bohemian Lager
                    And Then: Bohemian Lager
                    Conditioning: Chucked Fruit Ale

"What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art."
                    "What's the use of having a mind when you can't change it?"

Comment

Sorry to necro this thread, but the barman at my local was passing out free samples of this stuff the other night - it's an inoffensive alcopop probably aimed at the 18-21 age group. Having said that, I'd never touch it - it's sweet, and, knowing the SAB penchant for using maize syrup everywhere this drink is probably full of it. Something in the fermentation prodicts of maize syrup gives me an immediate hangover :-( .

BTW, I'd agree with the Castle Milk Stout comment, that and PU are the only SAB products I'll drink.

Anyone remember Lion Ale?

Comment

Talking about lion, I see its been back for a while. And not those funny blue and silver cans from a couple of years back but the real Lion. I was to young to enjoy it the 1st time around, but I do like it now. Maybe its good or maybe I just enjoy it cos it reminds me of photos of my balie and co sipping on lion lagers around the braai back in the day. Had anybody else bought some for nostalgic reasons. For the old timers here, does it taste the same or are you dissapointed???

Comment

Is it still available?? Since making my own, I don't buy beer anymore, so didn't even know about it being back.
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Brewpete View Post
                            Had anybody else bought some for nostalgic reasons. For the old timers here, does it taste the same or are you dissapointed???
                            SAB rebrewed it in SA for nostalgic reasons.

You can still buy it from SAB Zambia I think.

Comment

Working...
                            X