PDA

View Full Version : DIY Grain mill build

Shottie_gp
17th March 2014, 18:59
Right ......
Sorry for the delay guys,but i do these small projects if and when i get time .
Unfortunately the work i have on the floor needs to take preference over my hobbies :thumbsdown: But hey it pays the bills i spose .
So firstly i think i should thank Bryan for his post and especially the drawing he posted with sizes etc .
When you start a little project like this there seems to be allot of time that goes into the "development" of the specific project however there is a saying in our industry ......measure twice then cut and its for good reason i suppose .
Ive scrapped allot of materials and tooling in my time due to just "cutting first" then measuring .

So i went to the Alluminium place the other day and got some flat bar that seems to be able to do the job for the side plates . We then cut them to a rough length allowing for machining on the edges .
I havnt machined them yet as you'll see in the pic but i plan to do some work on the side plates tomorrow when the mill has a gap .
I then stopped at bearing man and got some bearings .
The Mills you buy online seem to have bronze or brass bushes as bearings .
I dont like that idea too much because of lubrication issues and eventually wear and tear will take its toll so i wanted to use ball bearings instead .
Sealed ofcourse and in a grain mill i reckon they will last forever .

As you can see there are 2 different sizes of bearings . 1 set will take the stationary shaft and the other the adjusting shaft .
I will bore the plates out to suit the bearings on the stationary shaft but only 1 bore will go all the way thru and this will be the drive end where a drilling machine will be attached .
The other 2 bores will be slightly bigger in dia so that some "bearing housings " will slide fit into them.
The ends of the side plates will be machined to a specific size while on the same op.
Then ill clamp them upright and do some drilling and tapping for the adjuster lock bolt etc etc .

More to follow ..........

Shottie_gp
17th March 2014, 19:10
Right so then i left swambo in charge of ordering the stainless steel round bar ....she ordered 50mm and i really only needed 40mm dia .
So today i got hold of some 40mm dia bar :thumbsup: machining stainless is great fun :mad:.
So the machine had a gap this morning and i faced the bars to a certain length and then put a little centre in....you need the centre when turning the shafts in the lathe .

So the shafts are ready for turning and the side plates are ready for milling ......we should finish the parts we busy with tomorrow at 12.
Then ill quickly turn the shafts and mill the side plates .

I also got some ally round bar for the bearing housings but thats for tomorrow eve hopefully .

So anyway just wanted to keep you guys posted .
Ill post some updates tomorrow eve if all goes well ...wich im sure it will ..
Now im going to sip on my orange zest ,black pepper and corriander infused wiess beer .

StevenD (Slainthe)
18th March 2014, 08:20
Looking good at this early stage...

A lot of us dream about having the sort of tools and machinery at their disposal like you have. We just read about your experiences. Looking forward to the next episode... :giveme5:

Shottie_gp
19th March 2014, 10:07
Thanks Steven .
I took some photos yesterday but they too big to load .
Swambo has to make them smaller for me then the next episode will start .
Last night we had an unexpected visitor and got stuck into some brews so didnt have time :cheers:

StevenD (Slainthe)
19th March 2014, 10:13
Thanks Steven .
I took some photos yesterday but they too big to load .
Swambo has to make them smaller for me then the next episode will start .
Last night we had an unexpected visitor and got stuck into some brews so didnt have time

I hear you on the unexpected visitor....but they're always the best to have a few cold ones with.

What operating system are you running on your computer? On WindowsXp (and early versions of Win7) there is a great little tool called "Image Resizer for Windows". It is also sometimes called "Power Resizer for Windows". Google the name...it's a small download, but the tool is great to resize images.

Shottie_gp
19th March 2014, 10:39
I hear you on the unexpected visitor....but they're always the best to have a few cold ones with.

What operating system are you running on your computer? On WindowsXp (and early versions of Win7) there is a great little tool called "Image Resizer for Windows". It is also sometimes called "Power Resizer for Windows". Google the name...it's a small download, but the tool is great to resize images.

Ok ill google it just now and have a look.
I could also set the pixels on the camera i think ...... but im not really electronically inclined if you know what i mean .
Ill see what i can find .
Thanks .:D
Oh ive got xp here at work and swambo has windows 7 at home i think .

Shottie_gp
28th March 2014, 14:55
Guys ....Just a small update (if you can call it that )
Ive made progress on the build but time hasnt been on my side .
When i get a gap ill post the the next episode with pics .

DonOne
4th September 2016, 20:38
Hi there was this project completed?

Sent from my LG-H635 using Tapatalk

CraftyZA
5th September 2016, 05:33
Hi there was this project completed?

No idea. Shottie's last post was 2 years ago.

DonOne
5th September 2016, 06:33
Aiy