PDA

View Full Version : STC1000 Query

StevenD (Slainthe)
1st October 2014, 11:52
Hi Guys...

For those of you using the STC1000 units to control your fermenter temperature, I have a query...

Do both the Heating and Cooling circuits have to be wired for the unit to function properly?

I ask, because I received my unit from a seller on ebay (eventually), but when I connected the Heating circuit, I can hear the relay switch on, but no power is sent to the heater.

Currently, I have only the need for the heating side of the unit, so nothing is wired to the cooling side.

Help!!!

:confused:

SimonB
1st October 2014, 12:00
No they don't both need wiring.

Are you sure you have wired it correctly? I have seen the STC manuals have them the wrong way round... and other things

StevenD (Slainthe)
1st October 2014, 12:06
Thanks, Simon...that'a what my logic told me as well, so it appears my unit is faulty as power is sent to neither heating nor cooling sides.

Looks like I am going to have to contact the seller on ebay...which means another lengthy delay....grrrr...

SimonB
1st October 2014, 12:43
Check this out first

They may have pins 2&3 and 7&8 confused.

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/attachment.php?attachmentid=169&d=1381488835&thumb=1

StevenD (Slainthe)
1st October 2014, 14:47
I'm getting even more confused now... :-)

The diagram shows pins 2 & 3 as being for the sensor. This is correct and the sensor works 100%.

I took a voltmeter to the various power and positional pins (heating - 5&6, and cooling - 7&8) and there is definately no current coming through to any of them.

Stupid question.....what is the "BPC" in the diagram?

CapeTownBrew
1st October 2014, 15:35
I'm getting even more confused now... :-)

The diagram shows pins 2 & 3 as being for the sensor. This is correct and the sensor works 100%.

I took a voltmeter to the various power and positional pins (heating - 5&6, and cooling - 7&8) and there is definately no current coming through to any of them.

Hi Steven, I can post a picture of my wiring when I get home if you want. I followed a very simple youtube video rather than the instructions. A very stupid question, (one I have to ask from a troubleshooting point of view! not suggesting anything here!) have you set the variables, target temp, variance and delay? there is a built in delay on the cooling side to not blow your compressor. I think mine was set to 2min by default, and when I was testing mine, I thought it didn't work!

SimonB
1st October 2014, 15:40

BP Connector - basically an electrical joint

pretorjn
2nd October 2014, 08:06
Steven you may know this, but just for completeness (because I made the mistakes an engineer should not make :mad: :o)

Remember the relay only acts as a switch and you still have to run the "live" wire for the fridge or element though there just like you would insert a normal switch. In other words you should not expect voltage coming out of the relay. You should rather measure continuity through the two poles to test if the relay is closing the circuit when expected. When I had my first run at it, I kinda expected the relay to supply power from the input power to the STC. This power is just to run the STC circuit board, display and probe

StevenD (Slainthe)
2nd October 2014, 08:44
Hi Steven, I can post a picture of my wiring when I get home if you want. I followed a very simple youtube video rather than the instructions. A very stupid question, (one I have to ask from a troubleshooting point of view! not suggesting anything here!) have you set the variables, target temp, variance and delay? there is a built in delay on the cooling side to not blow your compressor. I think mine was set to 2min by default, and when I was testing mine, I thought it didn't work!

Brett...thanks, I would appreciate a picture of your wiring, if you could post it. I have set the variables in the unit and they work correctly.

From what Pretor is saying in his posting, I understand now that the relay is just a switching device that has to be in-line to the live supply to the heater or cooler. My previous understanding was that the relay would act as an in-line switch to both live and neutral. It also makes more sense of the diagram that Simon posted as well.

Thanks again guys, I will have another go at getting the unit to work today. If I get it to work, you will hear me from here...I will not have to post anything. :lol:

StevenD (Slainthe)
2nd October 2014, 08:48
Steven you may know this, but just for completeness (because I made the mistakes an engineer should not make)

Unfortunately, I didn't know the information you had posted, but as mentioned in the previous posting, you made sense of the diagram and the unit function. Thanks much for that.

I'm an IT guy (34yr career) and, while I would know my way around machines from laptops to mainframes, a simple box like this would be able to get the better of me (and did). What can I say? :o

Bryan
2nd October 2014, 08:49
Here is my version. All three I have installed had this terminal configuration.

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/attachment.php?attachmentid=513&stc=1

StevenD (Slainthe)
2nd October 2014, 09:00

http://www.wortsandall.co.za/attachment.php?attachmentid=512&stc=1

Bryan, thanks for the attempt, but the link to your diagram appears to be broken. Please could you report it? Thanks.

Bryan
2nd October 2014, 09:06
Bryan, thanks for the attempt, but the link to your diagram appears to be broken. Please could you report it? Thanks.

Sorry how's that? Seems I now have it inline and as an attachment. What am I doing wrong, little bit rusty.

CapeTownBrew
2nd October 2014, 09:29

That is pretty much how mine is set up, if I remember correctly. Yours is just a lot "cleaner" than mine! :o

- - - Updated - - -

That is pretty much how mine is set up, if I remember correctly. Yours is just a lot "cleaner" than mine! :o

StevenD (Slainthe)
2nd October 2014, 09:40
Sorry how's that? Seems I now have it inline and as an attachment. What am I doing wrong, little bit rusty.

Sorry Bryan...it's there now, must have just taken a little time to get down to the Peninsula...thanks.

:D

StevenD (Slainthe)
2nd October 2014, 10:17
WOOHOOO.....It appears I owe a few guys on this forum a beer or two...

The STC now works like it should, thanks to your wiring diagrams and input.

Many thanks to you all...and my "Welcome Home Bru" fermenter thanks you as well.

:cheers:

CapeTownBrew
2nd October 2014, 14:05
The STC now works like it should, thanks to your wiring diagrams and input.

Glad to hear it!