Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vienna...ale?

Hi guys,

So the time has come for me to brew again. I hope. Anyway, I have in mind a lower ABV ale, brewed with Vienna malt for the most part. I love the Vienna malt flavour, and would love a darker Vienna lager, but I don't have the time or equipment to do a proper lager brew. For hops I have some Southern Promise, which I think will benefit the Vienna malt.

So my plan is as follows, for a 12l batch:

1kg Vienna Malt
    1kg Pale Malt
    300g CaraMunich II

Mash relatively high temps, around 71°C. Should round the beer out sweeter.

Boil 30 min, with a 15g Souther Promise addition at the start of the boil. Aiming for a 12IBU bittering here.

I'm still undecided about the yeast to use. I have some yeasts at home and the adventurer in me actually wants to see what I can do with a generic yeast, but I'll probably end up with a warm lager yeast to use, with a long time in the fermenter. I'll have to see how it plays out.

According to the brew calculator I use I should end up with closer to 4% ABV, which is spot on where I'm aiming for.

So, any tips/tricks/ideas I have to keep in mind?

Ahhh brewing. I remember those days.

You could even go all out and use 100% vienna. Or maybe a touch of munich for a bit of colour/ complexity.
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

I don't want to go overboard with the Vienna, and the recipe I pulled off Google said "50/50". I want to keep it still light-ish, and yeah the CaraMunich II is the medium one, for some colour. It apparently imparts a nutty flavour, which will also be welcome. I'm hopeful for this one, but I'm stuck with smaller batches for now, so if it's good who knows if I'll get it perfect again (my biggest gripe with brewing). I'm OK with it as well, just FYI :P

Comment

Welcome back to brewing. Hopefully your kid is doing good. I agree on the Vienna. I would just add some crystal malt for even better head retention. Considering the amount of brews under your belt. ( similar to mine) I don't think you should stuff around with yeasts pic a s04 or 5 and get it done

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

This is what i get in Beersmith ....
          Screenshot_39.jpg
          IBU = ±27 ?? ... that's going with 11.8%AA currently at Beerlab

but as Langchop said, I would also do 100% Vienna up to as much as ±2.5Kg ....
          Screenshot_40.jpg
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
            Welcome back to brewing. Hopefully your kid is doing good. I agree on the Vienna. I would just add some crystal malt for even better head retention. Considering the amount of brews under your belt. ( similar to mine) I don't think you should stuff around with yeasts pic a s04 or 5 and get it done

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
            Kid's doing good, yeah thanks for asking man! I'll mull the grain idea in my head, for sure. As for the yeast, I have SafLager S-23 I'm going to use. It is a true lager strain, but can be fermented up to 22°C. I'll obviously do my best to keep it as low as possible, but still. It should be fine

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            This is what i get in Beersmith ....
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]1971[/ATTACH]
            IBU = ±27 ?? ... that's going with 11.8%AA currently at Beerlab

but as Langchop said, I would also do 100% Vienna up to as much as ±2.5Kg ....
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]1972[/ATTACH]
            See this is why you ask advice. For some reason I had the Southern Promise at 6% AA. I see it's supposed to be around 11%-12%. I'll halve that amount then - 8g of Southern Promise then, same boil. Same comment on the grain - I'll think it over. I kinda already placed the order for the above...

Comment

OK so I got the ingredients. I'm planning a 12l batch, for now, but I'll water it down a bit if the gravity is too high for me. Let's see how it'll go...

Also, I got some glass jars, sterilized, into which I will be harvesting my yeast when done. I plan on doing at least one more Vienna lager, so saving the yeast is a good idea. Winter is the perfect time to brew a lager at my place, since it gets lekker cold in some rooms, so here's to getting it right!

I'll be mashing slightly higher to get a slightly sweeter finish, so strike temp will be at 69ºC, to mash at 67ºC. I'm aiming for a 12l batch with 15l strike water, but I have a cooler box to play with so I'll see how the day plays out.

On to the next question - I know BIAB is where you mash with the grains in a bag and and and, but I have another question here. Why can I just mash straight in the cooler box, with no bag and everything, which will allow the grains to really spread in the water, easy to mix, and then when I get the wort into a pot, I simply pour it through the grain bag? Grain bag fits over the edge of the pot, and it's a small batch, so pouring the wort with the grains into the pot should be pretty easy, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                OK so I got the ingredients. I'm planning a 12l batch, for now, but I'll water it down a bit if the gravity is too high for me. Let's see how it'll go...

Also, I got some glass jars, sterilized, into which I will be harvesting my yeast when done. I plan on doing at least one more Vienna lager, so saving the yeast is a good idea. Winter is the perfect time to brew a lager at my place, since it gets lekker cold in some rooms, so here's to getting it right!

I'll be mashing slightly higher to get a slightly sweeter finish, so strike temp will be at 69ºC, to mash at 67ºC. I'm aiming for a 12l batch with 15l strike water, but I have a cooler box to play with so I'll see how the day plays out.

On to the next question - I know BIAB is where you mash with the grains in a bag and and and, but I have another question here. Why can I just mash straight in the cooler box, with no bag and everything, which will allow the grains to really spread in the water, easy to mix, and then when I get the wort into a pot, I simply pour it through the grain bag? Grain bag fits over the edge of the pot, and it's a small batch, so pouring the wort with the grains into the pot should be pretty easy, no?
                You will get better efficiency if you decide to leave the bag out of it. As you said, it's a small batch so you should be able to pour the wort through your grain bag without too much effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Stander View Post
                  You will get better efficiency if you decide to leave the bag out of it. As you said, it's a small batch so you should be able to pour the wort through your grain bag without too much effort.
                  Exactly my thoughts, yeah. I want to heat up the cooler box (which is huge), get the strike water to temp, pour in the grains and then mix it well every 5 minutes or so, to get all the sugars out properly. I can then use the bag as a "filter", of sorts, as I pour the wort into the boil pot. Or pots. I'll see how it goes

Comment

I'm sure it can work, but there is no need to stir it every 5min tho

A stir at 30min into mash should be enough.

How are you handling a mash-out? or are you just gonna add some boiled water at the end just before transferring to the pot?

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      I'm sure it can work, but there is no need to stir it every 5min tho

A stir at 30min into mash should be enough.

How are you handling a mash-out? or are you just gonna add some boiled water at the end just before transferring to the pot?
                      That's the idea, yes. Just add some boiling boiling water to the mash, mix it up to loosen the grain bed and then pour out. I'll have to pre-calculate to make sure I don't overfill the brew/boiling pot though, so we'll see how that goes.

Comment

Are you using a grain bag in a cooler box, and then transferring to a boil kettle?

Comment

That's the idea, yes. Just add some boiling boiling water to the mash, mix it up to loosen the grain bed and then pour out. I'll have to pre-calculate to make sure I don't overfill the brew/boiling pot though, so we'll see how that goes.
                          Yip, you'll have to do some calcs, as I assume the pot can't handle all the liquid and the grains ... I would therefor also suggest you scoop out most of the grain from the cooler with a strainer of some sort before transferring the rest to the pot.
                          If you know the boil-off of that pot and know more or less how much water the grain will absorb, you should be able to get to your correct numbers

Comment

Are you doing this because you don't have a bag big enough for the cooler box? Otherwise I think the bag will just get weighed down if you try and pour it all through into the pot. But then you might as well just line the bag into the pot first. But like was mentioned, if pot size is too small for grain + wort it will be more worth your while to just have a bag in the cooler box anyway?
                            Cheers,
                            Lang
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                            "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

OK I think everyone is misunderstanding me. My plan is as follows:

Hot water into cooler box, get it to strike temp.
                              Grain into cooler box, into the hot water. No grain bag. Use the volume and the space in the cooler box to get a good mash efficiency.
                              Mash.
                              Mash out.
                              Line 18l boil pot with grain bag. I checked, it fits perfectly and snugly over the edges of the boil pot.
                              Pour wort from cooler box into the grain bag in the boil pot, grains and all.
                              Lift the grain bag out of the pot, taking the grain (and some moisture) with. This should reduce the level of water to the acceptable boil volume.

I just looked into the numbers, and it looks like grains absorb a little over it's own weight in water volume. So 2.3kg grain bill like I have will absorb about 2.5l of water. That means if I will have to reduce the strike water volume. I had it at around 6l per kg, but it seems from quick research that it should be around 3l per kg. As such, I'll just use 8l of strike water, and then add another 8l of hotter water at the mashout. That'll give me 16l - 2.5l = 13.5l boil, which is pretty much spot on where I want to be.

It's a big pot, wider than it's deep, so boil off will happen quickly. I'm going to have to boil only 30 mins for the hops, and then I'll check gravity. If need be, I'll water the wort down a bit to reach my target OG (around 1.04).

As a funny PS: I got a larger grain bag than I ordered. I think I ordered a Medium, but they gave me a Large. Super glad they did, as the Med would not have fitted the pot as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X