• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat Jack Pumpkin Ale

Recipe Name: Fat Jack Pumpkin Ale

BJCP Style:
    Recipe Type: All-Grain
    Yeast: nottingham ale. (us-05 or similar will also work)
    Yeast Starter (litres): 2
    Additional Yeast:
    Batch Size (Litres): 20
    Original Gravity: 1.060
    Final Gravity: 1.016
    Colour: 19
    Colour Scale: SRM
    Bitterness (IBU): 30-35
    Mash Profile (Temp and Times): mash-in 67°C for 60 mins. mash-out @ 75°C for 10 mins.
    Boil Time (Minutes): 90
    Primary Ferment (Days and Temp): 29 days @ 16°C
    Secondary Ferment (Days & Temp):
    Other Fermentation Notes:
    Tasting Notes:

Detailed Ingredients:

grain:

4kg pale malt
    1kg caramunich I malt
    1kg vienna malt
    1kg torrified wheat

hop schedule:

30g northern brewer @ 60 min.
    30g east kent goldings @ 15 min.

extras:

3kg pumpkin fruit @ 60 min.
    25g cinnamon spice @ 10 min.
    20g nutmeg spice @ 10 min.
    12g allspice spice @ 10 min.
    5g irish moss @ 15 min.
    honey

first off, making a pumpin ale takes a lot of effort. working with pumpkin is difficult. most of the recipes i've seen call for the pumpkin to be added to the mash. i've tried it that way and trust me, it's a bitch. after a lot of frustration i've found that adding it to the boil is much less hassle for the same result. be prepared though, as much as you try and filter the wort, you will end up with a lot of sediment in the fermenter. you can try racking to secondary if you want but i found that to be a waste of time. also, because of the sediment, you'll probably end up with about 15l when all's said and done.

clean and cut the pumpkin. bake at 180°C for 45 mins to caramalize some of the sugars. once the pumpkin is soft enough, mash and coat with honey. bake for another 45 mins. add the pumpkin to the boil at 60 mins.

all in all this is a great beer and i make it at least three or four times a year.
    Attached Files

Awesome. This looks great. I've been itching to do a pumpkin ale and this may just be the catalyst that gets me going. Thanks Al.

Comment

and that color omw!! agreed Matt most punken ales ive tried taste like raw punken jizz . caramelizing make sense . def gonna give it a brew for dec holidays

Comment

I roast my pumpkin the same way they do for pumpkin pie... basically coat with brown sugar and roast for 60 minutes, turning every 20 minutes or so. I add to the mash without any issues.
        Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post
          I add to the mash without any issues.
          aah, you see. BIAB to the rescue!
          that guy al
          Last edited by that guy al; 12 February 2015, 17:09.

Comment

Working...
          X