The Joys of herbal Brews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Joys of herbal Brews

I started brewing Yarrow beer because one of my clients (I am a qualified therapist) had Candida, but did not want to stop drinking. All of the diets for Candida said as a matter of course ‘no alcohol’, or strictly spirits only, with no mixers. As she prefers ciders and coolers this was not really an option for her.

Lo & behold – when I finished maturing the first batch she was in Cape Town for two weeks, & before she got back the beer had mysteriously ‘evaporated’ and I had to start on the second 40 litre batch.
    One of my very introvert friends regarded them as 'truth serums', because in spite of the fact that he hardly ever talks in company, after a couple of glasses he was regaling me and one of my lady friends with all the details of his life.

Gruit beers have a very different effect to normal hops based beers - in my experience hops is a good additive in small doses because of the antiseptic and bittering effect, but too much hops makes one more drowsy than a hop-free beer. Rosemary is a stimulant, Yarrow is just amazing in that it works as an anti-depressant and additives like Borage or Angelica are tonic and cleansing. The ladies love minimum hops beer because it is more like their 'coolers' than the traditional bitterness of beers. Adding Sage to a brew has a tendency to make people start discussing the meaning of life after their second glass.

Yarrow also works as a stimulant (instead of a depressant, (like hops)) of the central nervous system, so it makes one feel more lucid and clear per beer than otherwise. In fact, the traditional brewers in Europe regarded the 'Reinheitsgebot' as nothing more than a decision by the government to stop them from brewing real beer. According to more ancient literature the law was passed to get people to work on time as parties lasting for a week were fairly common when a good Gruit was brewed.

So I tried some alternatives for hops and it was good. I am not even going to mention the effect of Wormwood as a Hops substitute (Absinthe comes to mind?). - Yarrow has also been known as a psychoactive compound which increases the activity of the brain.

Sounds great, please post a recipe.

One thing: "ladies love minimum hops beers" is bullsh1t. Ladies and men don't like unbalanced beers. However, your palate may grow or your personal taste may make you love the bitterness immediately.

Psychotropic effects is one thing, but people MUST study the herbs/spices they add. Another common herb used in gruit is motherwort and it can cause miscarriage in large amounts.

African wormwood does not have psychotropic effects as far as I can remember.

Comment

The balancing is done by the taste of the other ingredients, like Yarrow, it's just a different bitterness. And as I said, I am a qualified therapist, as in Aromatherapist, so I do know my herbs & spices very well, although I do agree with you. People MUST know the effects of the herbs they use. Some can be toxic.

African wormwood (Artemisia Afra, wildeals) does have psychotropic effects, but not to the same degree as Artemisia Absinthium which grows in a lot of gardens in South Africa as a decorative bush and a source of home-medicine. It is easily obtainable but must be used in extremely small doses as experiments until the right balance is found. The bushes vary in intensity depending on how much water and sun they get, and the soil they grow in. I have found some need as little as 14 fresh grams in 20 litres of beer, whereas you can barely taste 40 grams in other cases. Normally you can pick it up from tasting the herb itself. So much more hassle than using standardised hops.

As for a recipe – this is the favourite among many of my clients & friends. Beware – this specific recipe yielded 8%, so you may want to cut down on the malt. Last time I did this was almost 6 months ago (because I used seasonal ingredients) , so I am going by my brewing records.

4 kg ‘Heineken’ malt – was given 20 kg of this by friend who owns a large craft brewery in my area – I will check with him if I can publish the name of the brewery. This is all I know of the malt.

3 grams ‘German’ Hops – again given to me by another friend who owns a craft brewery in the area – he spent 3 months touring Germany, Belgium & the UK, settling on this one, of which he brought back 40 kgs. I can say that it is very bitter, & has almost no aromatics. I saw the packaging, but didn’t take a picture and can remember no more about it.

.5 kg of the same malt roasted in a stainless steel pot over gas with constant stirring until it turned a dark brown.

Safale yeast – 16 grams.

300 grams fresh Yarrow flowers.

50 grams fresh Rosemary leaves.

50 grams fresh indigenous sage flowers (Buddleja Salviiflora (Sagewood)).

± 25 litres of 70˚C water.

I sparged the malt at 70˚C through my very simple sparger (an insulated bucket with a couple of layers of sieves on the bottom, covering the malt each time, waiting for about 10 minutes, and then letting it drain very slowly. This was done until I had about 23 litres of wort.

Once on the boil, I added the herbs. After the break I added the hops and let it go for about another ten minutes. I then cooled it using an old sanitised heating coil from a closed down dairy in the area to 27%, decanted it into a 25 litre fermentation bin and added the yeast.

After fermentation stopped, I added 50 grams dme and 50 grams Selati unrefined sugar to the bucket, bottled and let sit for 2 weeks.

Voila – the so-called “Truth Serum”…
      Attached Files
      Yarrow
      Last edited by Yarrow; 1 September 2015, 21:28.

Comment

This is next on my to do list.
        Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
        Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Working...
        X