No announcement yet.

Random small questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keptini? Looks interesting, but too sweet from the eyeballing it, lots of caramelization happening there

Comment

• One question to those mashing for so long, specifically talking lower temperature mashes here. Do you now have issues with souring? I'm asking because I remember my first AG brew. Took the grains, dumped them in a big pot and figured "I'll do something with it this afternoon". Later that day, something in the kitchen started smelling funky, and the next morning I pinpointed it to the pot. Grains were completely sour. Is that not an issue?

Comment

• Thanks Jakes, found this link.
        http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/410.html
        Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
        there is a Ukrainian beer where they leave the mash in the bread oven overnight and only sparge the next morning
        Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
        Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
          One question to those mashing for so long, specifically talking lower temperature mashes here. Do you now have issues with souring? I'm asking because I remember my first AG brew. Took the grains, dumped them in a big pot and figured "I'll do something with it this afternoon". Later that day, something in the kitchen started smelling funky, and the next morning I pinpointed it to the pot. Grains were completely sour. Is that not an issue?
          Yeah one has to understand microbiology a little.

Soured beers (Berliner Weiss etc) become so because of bacterial infection. That would be either lacto or aceto baccilus.

With a mash that stays above 55 deg C and preferably above 60 deg C, there is very little chance if infection.

Comment

• Hi Guys, hope you all well. I haven’t been on the forum for ages.. I started out with the hobby some time ago and then before I could start brewing, our business went through a stage that took a lot of my attention and we moved house twice during this time. That said, I want to start out again but I lost the book i use to read in pdf format that I had on my other phone. I want to download it again but can’t remember its name. I came across the name on the forum but can’t find it now..Brewer’s bible or something. Can anyone help with the name please. I learned a lot from that book, read it from cover to cover. Want to read it again before starting out again. Thank you guys

Comment

• Welcome,

A good place to start is John Palmer's How to brew, I believe it you Google it, there is a free version online. Others might know which book you were referring to.
              Originally posted by Tommy View Post
              Hi Guys, hope you all well. I haven’t been on the forum for ages.. I started out with the hobby some time ago and then before I could start brewing, our business went through a stage that took a lot of my attention and we moved house twice during this time. That said, I want to start out again but I lost the book i use to read in pdf format that I had on my other phone. I want to download it again but can’t remember its name. I came across the name on the forum but can’t find it now..Brewer’s bible or something. Can anyone help with the name please. I learned a lot from that book, read it from cover to cover. Want to read it again before starting out again. Thank you guys

Comment

• Thank you Andreas. Will go look for it now. Sound like it might be.

Comment

• Pm me your email address

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Thank you groenspookasem.

Comment

• groenspookasem please let me know if you got the pm. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Tommy View Post
                        groenspookasem please let me know if you got the pm. Thanks
                        yep, will flick you a mail soon

Comment

• what would the ratio be to carbonate "Hunters Dry" Cider? I have carbonation sugar as well as drops - but this stuff seems like it will explode, so just looking for a top tip

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray48 View Post
                            what would the ratio be to carbonate "Hunters Dry" Cider? I have carbonation sugar as well as drops - but this stuff seems like it will explode, so just looking for a top tip
                            If it's fermented dry, just regular amounts is fine. I carbonated with a drop per 440ml bottle when I last made cider (and the few times before). Works well. It feels like it'll explode, but mine luckily hasn't yet.

Comment

• Does anyone know whether Brewcraft or the Bootlegger is open?

Comment

• Originally posted by Andreas View Post
                                Does anyone know whether Brewcraft or the Bootlegger is open?
                                Brewcraft is closed, do not know about Bootlegger.
                                I do know that Brewmart and Beerlab are open but only for online orders
                                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                                X