Home brew hangover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home brew hangover

Why do I get a much worse hangover from drinking my own home brew in comparison to say commercial beer.

(Sorry post it in the wrong thread , dont know how to change it, i have a headache)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bigfoot; 5 October 2017, 08:31.

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
    Why do I get a much worse hangover from drinking my own home brew in comparison to say commercial beer.

Compare ABV.
    Next, compare FG - more residual sugar may affect hangover.
    Next, go to a lab and have your beer tested for higher alcohols (caused when fermenting too hot). These can also be detected in aroma and taste. If a beer has these you can start getting a headache before the first beer is even done!
    Compare volume consumed.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

What will the FG be in say black label. My beer's FG is 1.001 to 1.010 at 5,4%
      Black Label is 5.5%
      And the volumes may differ but not by much. Think it's the residual sugars maybe.

Comment

Hi Everybody.

Just my 5c here, but I usually have it the other way around. Commercial beer gives me moerse hangovers, while my own (often stronger) brews have me waking up fresh the next morning. You might be fermenting too hot, or you are not letting your beer age long enough. I could be wrong, but this is what I have experienced.

Relax and have a homebrew.

Comment

it could be a number of things but personally i believe it's related to acetaldehyde.

alcohol, being a diuretic, makes you urinate more than usual and flushes the body of valuable electrolytes, leaving you dehydrated. a side effect of this dehydration is a headache which we interpret as a hangover. acetaldehyde is much stronger than alcohol, and is responsible for excess sweating, nausea, vomiting and headaches. because the body is already parched, there’s less water available to expel the extra acetaldehyde. therefore, the more acetaldehyde in the beer, the worse the hangover.

Comment

What causes acetaldehyde

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfoot View Post
              What causes acetaldehyde

From our friend Paul (RIP)
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Ok let's see if you can help me
                Thanks for the video but still don't know where my fault is.

1- I bottle condition
                2- I ferment at 18 deg constant in a fermenting chamber.
                3- I don't use yeast nutrients
                4- I use 2 packs US-05/4 in 46liter batches.
                5- I aerate well before fermenting
                6- I take great care when bottling to minimize air contact time.
                7- how long do you need to bottle condition to re convert acetaldehyde.

Any input would be appreciated

Thank you.

Comment

To get gravity of any beer, pour the beer into your tube and let it become flat and warm up to room temperature. Take fg.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X