Micro brewery license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro brewery license

Hi. Have anyone walked the path of applying for a micro brewery license? Some suggestions of people who specialize in this?
    Is it possible to get a license in a residential area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally posted by Johnny Wait View Post
    Hi. Have anyone walked the path of applying for a micro brewery license? Some suggestions of people who specialize in this?

Hey dude, I wanted to walk this path a few months ago, since I'm brewing more than I can drink. I found out that it's possible to do with in a residential area, since the erf number gets the approval for being suitable, but the costs involved...wow. Apparently you have to use a lawyer to assist, and the costs with this was around R15k for the application alone. On top of that, the yearly renewal fee had to come on top of that, and the application takes a minimum of 4-6 months. It's terrible.

I have another question in this regard, but I'll only ask it once OP's gotten his required answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
      Hey dude, I wanted to walk this path a few months ago, since I'm brewing more than I can drink. I found out that it's possible to do with in a residential area, since the erf number gets the approval for being suitable, but the costs involved...wow. Apparently you have to use a lawyer to assist, and the costs with this was around R15k for the application alone. On top of that, the yearly renewal fee had to come on top of that, and the application takes a minimum of 4-6 months. It's terrible.

I have another question in this regard, but I'll only ask it once OP's gotten his required answers.
      ... are you not only on your second KIT brew?
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        ... are you not only on your second KIT brew?
        I am, but doing 2 cases of beer every month like I'm doing now is too much for me to drink, and my next brews are already planned. Am I overdoing it...?

Comment

^ Aah ok, it just came across as if you brewing every other day

2 cases is nothing ... you tend to drink more and brew more the further you advance into this hobby.

In the beginning I used to store away 1 case of every brew to taste a good couple months further down the line ... I then noticed i actually enjoy it more fresh, so scrapped that idea and not long after got into kegging .... and once you keg, beer goes very quickly
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

LOL it feels like it... The main reason I looked into the licence thing is because I've got plenty of people who's telling me "sell me a 6 pack". Now I can't. It's not legal. I can't brew and sell without that licence - that's not legal. So then I saw what it costs and figured "well screw that".

On that note then, can I allow them to buy me the ingredients and I'll just brew it for them? Not talking kegs and kegs full, but a for example a brew (23l) split between ~4 mates. It'll make brewing cheap, while giving everyone a few homebrews. It's quite cheap (cheaper than store bought beers), specially if you don't toss the bottles.

Comment

You can always sell a hotdog for R30 and get a FREE beer. [emoji23]

Comment

Hah no, not trying to circumvent the law, and not trying to push "grey area" agendas here. It's against forum rules anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                  ^.... and once you keg, beer goes very quickly
                  Tell me about it!!! Keg setup is a bit more than a month old, and i’ve finished 3 kegs.
                  2x 9L, and one 19L

Comment

Have anyone walked the path of applying for a micro brewery license?
                    yes, busy with the process

Some suggestions of people who specialize in this?
                    it is regional, and every province applies the rules differently, so find a local person: talk to local pubs and bottle stores and ask who did theirs

See above: depends on province and muni bylaws

I'd just sell the beers to my mates by trading for stuff you need like meat and groceries and patrol.....

Comment

"Apparently you have to use a lawyer to assist, and the costs with this was around R15k for the application alone. On top of that, the yearly renewal fee had to come on top of that, and the application takes a minimum of 4-6 months. It's terrible."

Depends on province, but Gauteng is much more and takes much longer.

But yes, I expect to pay around that and we're on month 7 now and still no end in sight

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                        "Apparently you have to use a lawyer to assist, and the costs with this was around R15k for the application alone. On top of that, the yearly renewal fee had to come on top of that, and the application takes a minimum of 4-6 months. It's terrible."

Depends on province, but Gauteng is much more and takes much longer.

But yes, I expect to pay around that and we're on month 7 now and still no end in sight
                        Mine was in Gauteng, yes. I applied for a quote and the above info is what I got. Still terrible tho :/

Comment

on the amount of beer being drank, that amount mentioned is cute. My wife, a friend and I killed a 19L corneythis weekend. The beer was good though. Only one 19L left.

On topic:
                          In Drakenstein Municipality (Paarl) how difficult is this? I'd be keen to license my home brew setup, so that I can actually sell beer and not just drink all of it. Also, if it takes long, like most people mention, what is tha actual holdup? If you tick all the boxes, what is the part that takes long?

Comment

Originally posted by 69degrees View Post
                            Also, if it takes long, like most people mention, what is tha actual holdup? If you tick all the boxes, what is the part that takes long?
                            the fantastically efficient government systems and fantastically dedicated and efficient uncivil servants

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                              the fantastically efficient government systems and fantastically dedicated and efficient uncivil servants
                              Okay, so basically if you do EVERYTHING perfectly, you need to bug them every.flippen.day to get an answer...

Comment

Working...
                              X