No announcement yet.

Sixth brew: IPA/Bitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some info on smaller batch brewing: 1 gallon BIAB might be a solution, also consider 10 litre no-chill brewing.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
      ..1 gallon BIAB might be a solution, also consider 10 litre no-chill brewing.
      Actually you have reminded me of one glaring ommission... You (toxxyc) would either need a chiller/ chill method or no-chill method as above
      Cheers,
      Lang
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
        Some info on smaller batch brewing: 1 gallon BIAB might be a solution, also consider 10 litre no-chill brewing.
        I'm probably going to borrow a 30l urn from a great member here to test a first batch with. Will be able to get a 15l batch from his experience with it, which suits me perfectly! If it works, I'll probably do just that and get a large kettle to brew in. Simple, right?
        Toxxyc
        Last edited by Toxxyc; 6 December 2018, 15:01.

Comment

OK so this is done fermenting. I did a gravity check and it came in at 1.012. From 1.05, that gives me a 5% ABV. That's not too bad, to be honest, I'm quite happy with that. I also had a warm-and-flat taste from the hydrometer tube and it tastes amazing. It looks very watery in the tube, with a slightly reddish amber tint to it, but to me it's the taste that's important, and it tastes GREAT. I considered dry hopping this in the fermenter for a few days, maybe to boost some aroma and flavour, and maybe I'll do that with the U1/108 hops I have in the fridge. It apparently gives very deep tropical fruit flavours and aroma, so I think it'll complement this beer great. Going to dump it in this afternoon for a weekend bottle - don't want to let it sit in there for too long!

Comment

Punching the first mini keg with this beer tomorrow evening. Can't wait, it's one of the beers I was most surprised with in the hydrometer-tube-taste-test to date, and it actually seems to tick a specific box I've been meaning to tick since I started brewing - brew a kit beer without that specific "kit" taste. I'll see if it pulled through to the final product once it's cold and carbonated and poured into a glass tomorrow. Can't wait!

Comment

I sure am glad you educated me on these experimental U1 range of hops. Paired the 132 (I wasn't as excited about the 'butterscotch' description for the 108) with cascade with my latest brew, and the smells coming from the fermenter are amazeballs. The two variants actually seem to go very well together. But I guess the real proof is in the tasting...
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

Yeah I'm quite happy with the hops. It's a lekker addition and a good price, IMO. On this brew - it came out good, I think. For some reason it "developed" that "kit taste" I pick up in all my brews, but I don't know why. I'm not sure if it's kits or whatever, but I'm a bit over it. Next brew will be AG again, simple recipe with simple design, like an American Blonde, to see if I can scrap it down to scratch. Keg's beer is better though!

Comment

Only skimmed this thread now. Toxxyc, with regards to all grain and costs etc, I think you should just come and brew at my place. Have plenty of extra base malt that needs to be used while still fresh, at no cost. Extra boiler etc, so easy to do back to back brews.

Getting married in March so will have a brew day in April. Next brews will be Altbier and Witbier. Let me know if you are keen to put the tins away.

Comment

Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                    Only skimmed this thread now. Toxxyc, with regards to all grain and costs etc, I think you should just come and brew at my place. Have plenty of extra base malt that needs to be used while still fresh, at no cost. Extra boiler etc, so easy to do back to back brews.

Getting married in March so will have a brew day in April. Next brews will be Altbier and Witbier. Let me know if you are keen to put the tins away.
                    Wow, I'm humbled, to be honest! Congratulations on the wedding, it's a lekker thing, trust me. I have another problem though - baby incoming. And not in a bit, as in, the 25th of Feb. So I'll definitely take a look into the situation and see if I can squeeze off a Sat morning. Back to back sounds like a great plan, specially if we're planning similar beers. An Altbier wouldn't be something I stand against at all. Will let you know, thanks man! I'll bring my own hops to use at least, and I'll do no-chill cube so I can just fill up, screw on the cap and take the wort home!

Comment

All the best with the little one. Will take planning off the forum.

Comment

Working...
                      X