Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My 2c, I'm playing around with some base Malts before pulling the trigger on large bulk purchases, marris otter in the lead so far. However WaltsMalts play to my local heartstrings.

Specialty from lhbs, I play around with styles too much and propogate and store yeast, but will import hops from jhb if I can't find it at beerguavara, beerplus or beerlab (my only reason to really shop about. Spring water from swartland (farm outside Piketberg) electricity from eskom (sigh)

Just found a local beekeeper in the peninsula, so mead is back on the menu.

Bulk grain and yeast propagation drives costs down considerably

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

My Mash Efficiency actually went down ever since using Walts Malts .... Have you used it yet? and any commend?
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post
    My Mash Efficiency actually went down ever since using Walts Malts .... Have you used it yet? and any commend?
    So I'm not a expert brewer - but this last batch I made the past weekend my mash efficiency also went down from what it normally should be with the as I bought Walts for the first time - I normaly bought the 25kg at beerguevara - but they stopped selling 25kg.. so I went to beerlab for their 25kg walts malts. But it could just be me not milling fine enough - will make another batch this weekend and make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by JIGSAW View Post

I made a Vienna lager (pilsner) with it and it was fine. Efficiency stayed within reasonable tolerances. I mashed for 70min and boiled for 35min. I haven't tried their others yet, but am planning to do so soon, based on those tests I'll decide. Does anyone know if they have the PPG (points per gallon) rating for the range Walts Malts?
    Last edited by groenspookasem; 24th May 2019 at 10:54.

Interesting regarding Walts, was thinking of bailing from SAB. Not the first time I've heard rumours about the efficiency.

I'll update as I brew, if it's a no go then I'll settle on Marris Otter, I did enjoy it quite a bit, golden promise was right up there. I also want to give viking Malts a go. I've used weyermann, castle and best, but got good results from sab. The difference in price is low enough however to not be bothered.

On your scale cost could be noticed, however the last thing I want to do is compromise on quality, I brew for myself and friends only, so no need to shave for profit.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I'm just going to start buying more in bulk. We went through 25kgs of SAB pale last weekend alone.

"I hope the files attached correctly"

If they did, that's the only info I could get from both Beerlab and Walts
    Attached Files Attached Files
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!