Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilsner brewing advice

Hi All,

So I have been eyeing a pilsner recipe for a while, but not quite sure if I will be able to pull it off with the equipment I have available.

The main problem is the low fermentation temperature, my fridge will realistically only be able to cool my fermenter down to about 13-14 degrees and I am not sure if this is cold enough. I am also not sure if a pilsner will need some form of cold storage, will it be sufficient to just store at winter room temperature once it has been bottled (15-20 degrees)? Or does it need proper cold storage? Also how long do you keep it in the secondary fermenter to mature and at what temperature?

I was thinking of fermenting a pilsner at about 13-14 degrees using Saflager w34/70, keep it at this temperature for about a week and then increase the temperature slowly to about 18 degrees for secondary and keep it there for another week or two before cooling it as much as possible before bottling. Once bottled I am not sure if i should keep it in the fridge or just winter room temperature for a few weeks (not sure how long pilsner needs to condition)

Anyone ever tried brewing a pilsner like this? Does it sound feasible?

Thanks in advanced for any feedback.

I ferment my Pilsners at 16C for 7 days, bump it to 19C for 3 days, cold crash, fine (all in primary) and keg . 34/70 is the key to this. Excellent yeast - check out Brulosphy's method. No off flavors, no DMS (35min boil on Pilsner malts)

Comment

I do the same as groenspookasem

Saflager 34/70 can handle this method ... leaving it at winter room temp should also be fine, although I drink mine not long after kegging

EDIT: My last 2 I made was actually done fermenting within 24hrs at 16ºC, but I only got it down to 1.011
      JIGSAW
      Last edited by JIGSAW; 31 May 2019, 11:37. Reason: because I can
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

My only beer I brew is a pilsner, big batches, 150 lit, but I use S23.I start the fermentation at 10C, then ease it up to 12 for a week to 10 days or till I hit about 1.023 then up to 16C for 2 to 3 days then lager for 2 months at 0 to 2C. It seems the slower the fermentation the better. But you need high pitching rates, double than for an ale. The lagering makes a big difference, the colder you can get it the better. It makes for a crisper cleaner taste.The key is to hold back the fermentation early so it does not run wild and create too much DMS, then slowly release it and ket them yeasts do their work.
        I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

Comment

Working...
        X