Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: La Trappe

Hi Johan, as with most styles, I find that freshness plays a significant roll in Belgian beers as well. I also wasn't a massive fan of all the La Trappe beers in the gift pack that comes with that magnificent glass. I do however prefer it from a fresh draught. In my opinion, a golden strong ale such as Duvel is more enjoyable than a Dubbel or Quad as I'm not such a fan of all the caramel/candi sugar syrup used in some of those.

So there is a personal taste preference as well as freshness to consider. Maybe try and find a fresh Duvel or brew some yourself. A fresh and well brewed witbier is also fantastic but not sure we have many commercial examples of those, so you probably would have to brew it yourself. If you don't like it, that's ok. Don't think anybody is expecting any homebrewer to fall in love with every style. It might just also be an acquired taste so maybe revisit it after some time has passed.

I'd rather have a La Trappe than anything from SAB.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    I'd rather have a La Trappe than anything from SAB.
    True that. Do you sometimes brew belgian beers yourself Jakes?

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Brew View Post
    True that. Do you sometimes brew belgian beers yourself Jakes?
    we're doing one tomorrow as part of our club event: the club members will sit and design a recipe, then we will brew the beer and I will ferment and age it onsite for the Winter Beer festival

It will however only be my second. The previous was a Belgian Dark Strong and it came out quite well, using home made candy syrup.

Quote Originally Posted by The Flying Brew View Post
    Hi Johan, as with most styles, I find that freshness plays a significant roll in Belgian beers as well. I also wasn't a massive fan of all the La Trappe beers in the gift pack that comes with that magnificent glass. I do however prefer it from a fresh draught. In my opinion, a golden strong ale such as Duvel is more enjoyable than a Dubbel or Quad as I'm not such a fan of all the caramel/candi sugar syrup used in some of those.

So there is a personal taste preference as well as freshness to consider. Maybe try and find a fresh Duvel or brew some yourself. A fresh and well brewed witbier is also fantastic but not sure we have many commercial examples of those, so you probably would have to brew it yourself. If you don't like it, that's ok. Don't think anybody is expecting any homebrewer to fall in love with every style. It might just also be an acquired taste so maybe revisit it after some time has passed.
    Hey Joe Brewing company has an award winning WITBIER that I would love to try out.
    Last edited by billionairebum; 7th June 2019 at 13:40. Reason: Word
    "Well, I suppose if Iím being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that Iíve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that Iíll never have a problem drinking again."

Quote Originally Posted by billionairebum View Post
    Hey Joe Brewing company has an award winning WITBIER that I would love to try out.
    Yeah, look forward to when we can find those here in Joburg. High expectations.

Thanks for all your input on this thread.
    I revisited my La Trappe (had no choice, ended up getting two sets for my birthday) and approached it with a slightly different mindset. (This time I was expecting the banana and cloves)
    I decided to look for the things that I like about the beer, and eventually ended up appreciating the style a lot more than I did starting off. I still don't like the Trippel and the Quad is also not my cup of tea, but the Is'Idor and the Dubbel are surprisingly good beers. I would even go as far as to say I would buy them again. I am also very curious about their Bockbier.
    Goes to show, you can teach an old dog new tricks. (There's no emoji for me eating humble pie, so picture it)