Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry hopping

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHolic View Post
    There is not set right or wrong way, it all depends on your setup and what works for you.

I rack to a secondary fermentor after primary fermentation is completed. Once secondary fermentation is complete I bottle using a brew bottler attached to the tap of the secondary fermentor.
    The amount of trub at the bottem of primary fermentor is past the level of the tap (actually I do not have a tap on primary anymore, just a stop plug) so I need to siphon to a secondary. Hops is added to secondary, no bag just thrown in.
    When I used to do extract before going to all grain I bottled from the primary and also just threw hops into fermentor, there was very little trub which allowed bottling from the primary.

I have found that with high amounts of hops, when dry hopping i.e. 80g plus, you tend to lose the last 0.5 - 1 litre of beer as the hop waste blocks the tap. This can obvoiusly be solved by using a hop bag, but I feel that you get more hop flavour/ aroma without the use of a bag. Ok I can ofset this by using more dry hops, but I am happy with the small amount of beer wasted.
    I agree 100% with BeerHolic. I don't transfer to secondary though, but since I use the auto syphon anyway, I don't bother with hop bags when dry hopping. Most of my brew ends up in the keg so there is only about 6 or 8 bottles in the end.

Sent from my S60 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys! I will sleep on it a bit!

We finally had our first taste of the IPA (and 1st dry hopping attempt) today.... two weeks after bottling. Still a bit cloudy but the taste is amazing. Might end up being one of our best best brews to date! Trying to attach a pic bit its not working. Will try on the "What Are You Brewing" thread.