Thread: Sputter Keg

Sputter Keg

So I have some limited experience with kegging, nowhere near experienced. I will typically have one maybe two glasses from the keg in the evening from my keg. What I find is with the long beer line (in the keezer) bubbles/foam forms in the upper sections of all of the tube coils overnight. So when I pour glass number 1 or 2, it chugs and sputters and invariably i get foamy pours. (After that it typically pours well without excessive foam)

How do most of you overcome this? Unfortunately I do want to live pretty long, so having 5 glasses a night so that the last 3 pours are good, is not really an option for me!

TIA
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com

I have the opposite. I can't bottle for shite, sampled my comp stout,flatter than a nipple on a hot day. Sweet from the carbonation drop to boot, completely crap to drink. Excellent in the keg,fml.

Kegging advice, force carb for 2 to 3 days at 30psi with a 2m bevlex line. Drop to 10 or 11 thereafter. I remove the co2 line and top up when needed. Am thinking you're overcarbing a bit here and after a few pours it settles down. Rather undercarbed and pushed co2 later than waiting for it to calm down.

I have invented a game with the missus, it's called roll the keg. When initially flat beer is racked, push the keg to 30 to 40 psi and kick it to one another (rolling), after a few minutes top up co2 and continue the kick around, diminishing the time to force carb by at least a day or two. My dear wife helps me to rack, she's a pro!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Langchop View Post
    So I have some limited experience with kegging, nowhere near experienced. I will typically have one maybe two glasses from the keg in the evening from my keg. What I find is with the long beer line (in the keezer) bubbles/foam forms in the upper sections of all of the tube coils overnight. So when I pour glass number 1 or 2, it chugs and sputters and invariably i get foamy pours. (After that it typically pours well without excessive foam)

How do most of you overcome this? Unfortunately I do want to live pretty long, so having 5 glasses a night so that the last 3 pours are good, is not really an option for me!

TIA
    I also get that on the first pour .... so I first pour about into a spare glass standing permanently next to fridge for this purpose
    .... I notice even pubs sometimes pour straight down into their drip-tray before putting the glass under the spout. - must be for that same reason

My thinking is the tap and the piece of line closes to it warms up causing the liquid(beer) to foam in that section and once it's cooled down as liquid pass thru on the 1st pour, the next is much nicer

@groenspookasem force carb at 30PSI for 2-3 days sounds a bit much ... I have perfectly carb'd beer after just 24hrs? i also disconnect the gas at times and only top up when the flow gets really low/slow... so yea, maybe once every 3rd night I might add some pressure.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

I do take the gas off after punching it to 30. It's not under constant pressure, periodically topping up back to 30 for the period. Works for me, first 1/4 pour is trub tax.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I sometimes get the same (some bubbles in the line) - I can only assume it's the same as the headspace in the keg, and pressure balancing between the two. (more bubbles on a near empty keg?)

The other thing is that the tap isn't cold, even if the line inside the keezer is. As the beer hits the warm tap it warms up and gas comes out of suspension so you get a foamier pour until the tap cools down. (why the first pour is foamier). Not sure if maybe this somehow also contributes to the bubbles in the lines? the beer at the tap letting off gas that has to go somewhere?

I do understand and also get that 'warm tap issue'. I usually just put it in the glass knowing I will get all that sputtering anyway. Maybe thats the crux and makes all the subsequent fluid foam more too. The sputtering seems to be something different tho. Maybe its airlock that has been trapped in there and never gets the chance to get fully flushed/ bled out. Even though the kegs nearly empty, maybe I should try properly bleeding out those bubble pockets and see if they form again.

Quote Originally Posted by camsaway View Post
    I sometimes get the same (some bubbles in the line) - I can only assume it's the same as the headspace in the keg, and pressure balancing between the two. (more bubbles on a near empty keg?)
    The static pressure should be the same as the keg I think, so maybe when its flowing and lower pressure, it gasses out and doesnt go back into solution in a big hurry when its static again?

I will do the above little test and see from there if it helps.

Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."
    www.ginormity.com