Irish red ale BIAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
    There's a few research papers on it , Dr Tom Shellhammer, Scott Janisch and a Brulosophy experiment. I dont have the links on hand, but the effect of dry hopping on an isomerized wort/beer does have the ability to bring down ibu to some extent in an ibu range between 30and40 if I recall correctly.

The alphas are reabsorbed and aroma is released, depends on a few variables...

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
    I also read the Brulosophy exbeeriments and the Scott Janis beer studies and used to believe that dry hopping does not increase bitterness but I can tell you from my own experience that dry hopping increases the bitterness even if its only the perceived bitterness - make a cold brew hop tea, taste it and tell me its not bitter
    Harhm
    Last edited by Harhm; 8 November 2019, 14:13.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

If I recall correctly if your beer is over 30or40 ibu then dh can decrease bitterness if it's under then it can increase. Shellhammers work is somewhere on the hopsteiner site.

I dont doubt it can increase ibu, but it isn't straightforward. The science behind it is interesting, I'm recalling this from something I read early this year, so best to google

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
        If I recall correctly if your beer is over 30or40 ibu then dh can decrease bitterness if it's under then it can increase. Shellhammers work is somewhere on the hopsteiner site.

I dont doubt it can increase ibu, but it isn't straightforward. The science behind it is interesting, I'm recalling this from something I read early this year, so best to google

Google smoogle, In this instance I don't care less what the web says. In my experience I can tell you that dry hopping this IRA with the intention to decrease the bitterness will not work.

@Jannieverjaar - Bottle half the batch and dryhop the rest for 4 days with 4 g/L EKG. get back to us when both beers are carbonated and ready to drink Good luck
        Harhm
        Last edited by Harhm; 8 November 2019, 14:31.
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Yeah, I said you "could" but perhaps Sprite is a better option

Comment

RIPA is a recognised style and is actually bloody lekker. Well done............

Unless it's completely off, no beer is a failure.

Comment

After a beer or two I came up with a possible solution, boil up some water add some dme, cool it and add to your fermentor? Could possibly balance it out? You're still fermenting, so worth a shot? Not sure, haven't tried it myself, what's everyone else's thoughts?

Comment

That sounds like a a better plan to me. But I was thinking I small. 2l mash with some pale and some oats to improve mouthfeel in the process?

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

I also read that research groen! It said it absorbs it in the trub or something. I didn't pay much attention coz I never planned on brewing such high ibus

Comment

That sounds better than dme too, it's a real neat style and I hope you can save it

Comment

Ok I'm questioning everything now! I'm completely lost!

I let yesterday's sample chill and drop clear.....
                      Not all that undrinkable, actually not bad at all. I'm not changing anything! Groenspookasem you are turning me into a hop head!

Comment

Music to my ears :-) I have the t-shirt to prove my hop head status too :-)

Comment

So I got a second opinion and it's clear. I need to add DME. My og was 1040 instead of 1049. Fg is 1006. It needs body badly. I wanted to get to 1045 with the addition. I have 25l in the fermenter so beersmith says
                          340g addition.
                          Do you think its enough to help the body or should I go for 1049?

Comment

Go for 1.049, unbalanced beers makes it difficult to enjoy. I had something similar with a amwheat a while back - on the very edge of being over the top

Comment

1049 it is. Just boiled it and poured it! Now the wait begins again.

And my blondes have run out!

Comment

Bottling night.
                                I decided to add my priming DME (not sugar so I can get a little more body from priming) to the fermenter not the bottles individually to save time. BUT forgot to take the sg before. So I have no idea how strong it is. But the sg after priming is 1014 so probably not to bad.

Anyway I dont think its red, more deep amber
                                Still not well balanced though. I'll call this one school fees and every time I taste it I'll know I need to brew better. The bitterness overpowers everything. I cant even tell you what flavors or aromas there are. I'll do a more detailed taste test after conditioning but at this point this one is not for the record books.

Comment

Working...
                                X