Kveik drying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kveik drying

Out of curiosity, I would like to find out whether anyone had dried this yeast yet?

I read that in the area it is common, it is often dried on a spoon, wooden ring ect.

I know Grandparents used a similar process to dry mampoer and wine yeast, but kinda wary of trying it with beer yeast....
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

I bought a ezidry ultra dehydrator for this exact purpose, was going to put one together (homemade)but couldn't be arsed. You can easily dry washed or propagated kveik at 30c in a hour or two. Dried it can be saved for a year or so.

Do check if the dehydrator is temperature controlled, some aren't and you'll end up with baked yeast.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
      I bought a ezidry ultra dehydrator for this exact purpose, was going to put one together (homemade)but couldn't be arsed. You can easily dry washed or propagated kveik at 30c in a hour or two. Dried it can be saved for a year or so.
      Now where is the bloody THANK BUTTON?
      Been looking at a dehydrator for completely different reasons but also beer related (drying adjuncts).

Comment

Fair enough if you want to use the dryer for other things also, but R5000 just to dry yeast doesn't work for me. Might as well buy 80 dry packs and be good for the next ±400 brews
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Primary reason was for drying yeast, but it's a pretty nifty thing to have. I've since done many things, botanicals included.

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            Primary reason was for drying yeast, but it's a pretty nifty thing to have. I've since done many things, botanicals included.
            Yep, we wanted one for drying gin botanicals because the suppliers are mental with their prices and a R5k drier will pay itself off very quick.

Comment

I found a fairly decent priced botanical supplier in Jhb, I'll send you the details, but drying it yourself is pretty easy.

Comment

Working...
              X