Question Pressure FV's available in SA?

Hi Guys. Do we have any options for fermenting under pressure in SA (apart from doing in a keg)? I've not had any luck browsing the local online stores.I'm looking to upgrade from my MJ starter FV and would like to go pressure FV if possible.Else, failing that, what would be a worthy upgrade in FV - your thoughts/tips are appreciated!TIA
    Last edited by CaPunT; 15th February 2020 at 13:16. Reason: formatting

Give Nick or Ryan a call at Brewcraft, I think there might be a spunding valve for the Grainfather conical.

Or you can buy this: https://www.brewkegtap.co.za/online-...lve-p125559579

You'll just need a conical that is pressure rated.

Quote Originally Posted by jakeslouw View Post
    Give Nick or Ryan a call at Brewcraft, I think there might be a spunding valve for the Grainfather conical. Or you can buy this: https://www.brewkegtap.co.za/online-...lve-p125559579You'll just need a conical that is pressure rated.
    Spoke to Nick about it when I was at his store last weekend. They don't have any options for FV under pressure.I'll look at importing something using Aramex - I believe i read elsewhere on the forums guys have done the same.Really liking the new FermZilla 27L.

@CaPunT Welcome to the forum

I have not done it myself, but yes you can apparently easily import from places like kegland.com via Amarex Global
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

OK, so if you don't mind not having a conical shape, then a keg will do just as well. In fact, we ferment in flat bottom water drums for small batches.

A second hand 50L Sankey keg isn't that expensive (around R400-R500 for a usable second hand version), and you can fit the Spunding valve to a G type coupler which has had the non-return valve removed. (EDIT: you actually don't need to remove the non-return valve if you attach the spunding valve to the beer-out port......)
    A used coupler is around R500 from Draughtcraft.

Then you've kicked two birds to death with one stone: fermenting and dispensing.

For the price a FirmZilla (which is a glorified plastic fermenter and I don't trust clear plastic when one considers the effect of UV on hops) with the pressure kit and shipping , you could have a complete fermentation and dispensing arrangement.
    Last edited by jakeslouw; Yesterday at 19:05.

^ this. Fermzilla is a good concept but plastic has a lifespan. Stainless if looked after doesn't. You're going to pay out of yer arse for shipping from kegland, its volumetric. Dont do it, regrets in 12 months for sure

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Thanks All. Yeah, I've looked into it some more and it seems a lot of people end up having trouble with it at some point. Its going to be tough getting seals, etc on short notice so probably not the best option.That and the transportation cost to here is as much as the unit itself! The fact that it serves as a Unitank was a nice to have. It's not critical for me. Not sure about how i feel leaving the brew on the trub and dispensing from there - especially if not finishing it relatively quickly. @jakeslouw thanks for the recommendation! I'll have a look at the local options again. Oh and Thanks @JIGSAW

You can pressure transfer off the trub though, need a second keg. If you have cash to burn, spike or as brew tech is an option

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk

Yes, pressure transfer off the trub, BUT.........cut the spear shorter on the Fermentation Keg (to not suck trub) and run an inline 15 micron paper filter when transferring.

Another option: plastic conical tank from Pioneer or Plastics For Africa, but the tank with a screw-on lid. Use plumbing PTFE tape to seal the lid and use a barbed fitting to vent the CO2 via a spunding valve. Unfortunately the smallest seems to be 135L.........