Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by FriedPiggy View Post
    Just thought of something else. My batch is just under 23L. I think I will probably lose about 1L during all the readings, spillage during bottling, and other things. The problem I have is that I only have 25 x 750 ml bottles meaning 18.75 L of bottling space. Would it destroy the beer if I bottled as much as I could and then bottled the remainder a few days later?
    I hate bottling and have had the flat beer out of a jug like a muppet before, if it doesn't fit the keg then all bets are off. I've actually left it in hte jug for a couple of days before scraping together the courage to bottle 4 to 6 440's

I am very confused now. I took a reading and my OG was on 1042. That was on Monday at 13:45 just before pitching yeast. On Wednesday afternoon all activity in the airlock stopped. On Friday morning I took a reading and it was on 1010. I, therefore, planned on bottling today. Today the reading is on 1030. Tastes and smells perfectly fine, no off-flavors or anything like that. The sample in the tube for the hydrometer is also carbonated it seems as small bubbles are there and even when tapping them off, they come back. Any ideas?

^ De-gas that sample and take another reading

It's impossible to go up if you're not adding any fermentable sugars, so its probably the COČ making it float higher.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Didnt even think of the de-gas thing. Just checked again and its 1010. Will bottle tomorrow as I have a 100km virtual cycling race I am doing in an hours time and I am sure bottling for the first time will take more than an hour. Thanks Jigsaw, was worried that I had broken something.

Zwift it up man. Good luck

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by FriedPiggy View Post
    I am very confused now. I took a reading and my OG was on 1042. That was on Monday at 13:45 just before pitching yeast. On Wednesday afternoon all activity in the airlock stopped. On Friday morning I took a reading and it was on 1010. I, therefore, planned on bottling today. Today the reading is on 1030. Tastes and smells perfectly fine, no off-flavors or anything like that. The sample in the tube for the hydrometer is also carbonated it seems as small bubbles are there and even when tapping them off, they come back. Any ideas?
    As a side note, also fill up your hydrometer tube enough to ensure the hydrometer doesn't get stuck or floats higher due to anything in the bottom. After fermentation the tap usually contains some sediment, and if that ends up in the tube it definitely affects the reading.

All bottled and now just waiting for bottle conditioning to finish. One thing though. My brew came out a LOT darker than it shows on the tin. More like a very dark reddish color than the light gold on the can. Does this mean something went bonkers?

^ those tins usually comes out darker ... i think the picture is exactly that ... just a picture.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Also, if you cooked the kit a bit, it will end up darker than expected as well. The only kit I ever made that came close to the colour on the tin was a stout.