Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would definitely try to forget some in the cupboard. That beer will probably still improve for a year. My last dark strong was at its best at about 18months. It was 9% abv.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
      I would definitely try to forget some in the cupboard. That beer will probably still improve for a year. My last dark strong was at its best at about 18months. It was 9% abv.
      Thanks for the tip - I brewed it for a provincial competition that would take place when the beer is about 3 moths old, depending I will keep some for next years SA National Homebrew Competition.
      Harhm
      Last edited by Harhm; 16 July 2019, 07:56.
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• 20190725_055748.jpg
        BIAB, no-chill Blonde brewed with Pale malt and Chateau Cara Blonde, Cascade and S.passion. This one will go fast for sure.
        Harhm
        Last edited by Harhm; 29 July 2019, 13:20.
        2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
          BIAB, no-chill Blonde brewed with Pale malt and Chateau Cara Blonde, Cascade and S.passion. This one will go fast for sure.
          Damn, now Im thirsty also ... gaan onmiddelik 'n glasie skink

That beer looks great ... percentages on recipe if you dont mind?
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
            Damn, now Im thirsty also ... gaan onmiddelik 'n glasie skink

That beer looks great ... percentages on recipe if you don't mind?
            I used 89% Dingemans Pale Ale and 11% Chateau Cara Blonde in a simplified version of this recipe see post #4
            Harhm
            Last edited by Harhm; 31 July 2019, 11:22.

Comment

• cool3.jpg

Comment

• Pretty damn proud of this one. Cleared up to crystal clear, and while the light is shit, I hope you can see the fantastic colour and clarity in this beer. Note the head - this is after pouring, having a sip, setting it down and then coming back to it a minute or three later. PS, ignore the stuff in the background. Held a baby shower at my place for my incoming godchild this weekend:

Comment

• American Amber - Malty caramel with citrusy hops. At close to 7% abv its not for the faint hearted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• I did a 7% by mistake once. The alc. Smell and warmth was to much. Probably due to the style couldn't support it. What's your experience with this amber?

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jannieverjaar View Post
                      I did a 7% by mistake once. The alc. Smell and warmth was to much. Probably due to the style couldn't support it. What's your experience with this amber?

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk
                      at 7% you are going to get a slight alcohol warmth no matter what, as long as it is restrained and not harsh its acceptable. The challenge is to reduce the fusel alcohols as much as possible to get a smooth easy drinking beer.

There is a few factors to consider - yeast, wort aeration, pitch rate and all the usual suspects are important but in my view the easiest to guard against fusel alc production in bigger beers is to control the fermentation temp very well.

The production of fusel alcohols will start to occur from the initial onset of active fermentation 6 - 12 hours and would in general peak around 24 hours onwards and continue during the vigorous fermentation stage. The amount of fusel alcohols will also increased with elevated fermentation temperatures.

That said it is really important to control the temperature of the fermentation of most beers and especially Bigger beers very well especially in the beginning of fermentation i.e. "pitching hot'' to cut down on lag time is looking for trouble with bigger beers when you want to decrease fusel alc.

With the bigger beers I try to slow things down the first 72 hours. Ill typically pitch a bit lower (18) than my planned fermentation (20) and let it free rise from (18) on day 3 to (20) on day 5 and keep it constant from there. When I'm not away from home I would increase the temp again later on in the fermentation depending in what I want to achieve.

Comment

• Irish Red - scored 35/50 @ Academy of Taste competition - Easy drinking, balanced leaning to the malty side.

Harhm
                        Last edited by Harhm; 10 September 2019, 08:13.

Comment

• Stop making me thirsty

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                          Irish Red - scored 35/50
                          Congrats

Comment

• German Helles Export - 35/50 Medium grainy malts with a slight honey sweetness. Med to low floral and spicy hops. (S.Promise and Saaz) Who said you cant put SA hops in a German Lager

Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 17 September 2019, 11:42.

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                              Who said you cant put SA hops in a German Lager
                              actually that's mostly all what they are useful for

Comment

• Everyone to their own opinion. I have used Southern Aroma, Southern Passion and African Queen extensively and in quite a few different styles and I think they are great. I think they are on par imported hops.
                                Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

Working...
                                X