This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
    A stout faucet has a restrictor plate, which restricts/reduces flow and agitates the beer. This has an influence on the head/foam of the beer when poured. The restrictor plate can be removed to be used as a normal faucet but irrespective, I wouldn't only have stout on tap so would require larger kegerator and an extra nitro setup with tank, regulator etc. if I were to serve stout the proper way.

Have brewed a couple of dry irish stouts which were carbonated as per usual in the bottle. Still nice, but not the same.
    Im coming from a perspective of absolute ignorance wrt taps and dispensing etc... but is there any reason you couldnt just have a valve just before the tap so you could 'choke' the flow and adjust it to just the right amount of head/ foam that you like?
    Cheers,
    Lang
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
      Im coming from a perspective of absolute ignorance wrt taps and dispensing etc... but is there any reason you couldnt just have a valve just before the tap so you could 'choke' the flow and adjust it to just the right amount of head/ foam that you like?
      Looks like this...

The Nitrogen also has a big impact.
      bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
      Secondary: Apple & Cranberry Wine, Strawberry Wine, Mead,
      Conditioning:
      Bottled/Kegged: Black Ale/BIPA (SYSF)
      Next Up:​ ?Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout?

Comment

• Or connect a shower head to your tap?!

I see your point... that really is quite a significant constriction.
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post
          There's almost always a way to McGuyver something in the homebrew world. Will you get the exact same results..? most likely not. See below:

https://byo.com/article/nitrogen-draft-tap-projects/

Comment

• Prelim tasting of one of the few bottles that didn't clear up properly in the last week and a half. Poured on Saturday:

Beer tastes very good and is a lot hoppier than I expected, but it's the way it should be. Really does remind me of Heineken, maybe something between Heineken and Grolsch. Still very green though, and needs to sit a bit more. Most of the other bottles have cleared up a lot better, and I think this one clouded up because I turned it upside down a few times the day before sticking it in the fridge.

Can't wait for these to be ready - they're GREAT!

Comment

• Still a bit green, but we're definitely getting there!

Comment

• Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
                Still a bit green, but we're definitely getting there!

That is some clear beer man. Well done!
                "Well, I suppose if I’m being honest, there were a few times in the past where I admit I did have a drinking problem,

But I can truthfully say that I’ve become more responsible since then,

and today I always make sure that I have enough beer around so that I’ll never have a problem drinking again."

Comment

• Looks Good
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• My first brew pic, 5kg grainbill (pale, pils, amber, Centennial hops), no finings, 6 day fermentation, 2 day cold crash, 5 days on 30 psi in the keg.
                    1.053 OG, 1.0.11 FG 5.5ABV.
                    Not super clear but tasty! Fiddling with the flow control on the tap gave a tall head,dispensed at 11psi.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• Great beer colour
                      Cheers,
                      Lang
                      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Looks Good, but 5 days at 30psi sounds a little 'rof'

I usually only do 24-36Hrs @ 30PSI .... Then down to ± 8psi and enjoy.

Comment

• Cheers gents, I bumped it up to 30 psi anders removed the gasline, checked them next day as 8t dropped out, bumper it back to 30 psi as so on. Will do a lesson rof one next, perhaps a little keg roll too

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

• IPA that I bottled 10 days ago. Its the 1st tester of my zero kettle/boiled hopped beers. 47 IBU predicted by Beersmith3. Its difficult to estimate the IBU's but its definitely bitter and hoppy enough to be a IPA.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                            Harhm
                            Last edited by Harhm; 14 November 2018, 12:39.
                            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Looks Good!

Cant remember if you did mention, but as what did you add the hops in Beersmith ? ... as a whirlpool/steep addition ?

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                                Looks Good!

Cant remember if you did mention, but as what did you add the hops in Beersmith ? ... as a whirlpool/steep addition ?
                                Yes the BS input was a whirlpool/steep addition 90C for 30 min. I did it No-chill all hops in the cube
                                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Working...
                                X