This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BeerHolic View Post
    Did a black IPA with Southern Passion and Cascade last weekend. Did a Belgian Abbey the weekend with Southern Aroma. First time using Southern Aroma in a Belgian beer, hit my highest effeciency with this beer 80%.
    Nice one, I like to hear what you think of S.Passion paired with Cascade. I'm kegging a Passion Cascade Blonde this weekend.

I brewed version 3 of my 2.5 % abv Extra Lite Lager early (5am) this morning.
    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
      Nice one, I like to hear what you think of S.Passion paired with Cascade. I'm kegging a Passion Cascade Blonde this weekend.

I brewed version 3 of my 2.5 % abv Extra Lite Lager early (5am) this morning.
      Will let you know as soon as I taste, should be next weekend. I have only done one lager to date a Marzen, really loved it. Planning my first Pilsner and Helles Aug/Sep. Man you are an early riser, earlist I have started to brew is 6:30 am.
      Did a Golden Ale a couple of months ago with Cascade and Southern Aroma, turned out quite good, enjoyed the hop combination, this beer was also a hit with the ladies.

Let me know what you think of your Passion Cascade Blonde.
      Everyone must beleive in something, I beleive I'll have another beer

Comment

• I'm at one of those stages where I am long overdue a brewday, and want to use what I have before ingredients get too stale. Any recipe suggestions for the following ingredients I have: (I typically do an 18l batch using 4.5kg of grain)

Malts. All in kg:

Pilsener 2
        Carapils 0.7
        Wheat malt 0.3
        Sab pale 3
        Pale crystal 0.1
        Med crystal 0.6
        Munich malt II. 0.5
        Caramunich I. 0.8

Hops. All in g:

Saaz 100
        Xja2 60
        T90 30
        J17 75
        S. Passion 35
        S. Aroma 50
        S. Star 100
        Cascade 60
        Columbus 100
        U1/132 40
        U1/108 100

Edit:yeast
        S04
        US05
        S23
        S23
        K97
        Nottingham ale

Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm thinking along the lines of a Pilsener and then a hoppedtohell Neipa or something like that
        Langchop
        Last edited by Langchop; 23 June 2019, 10:07. Reason: Yeasties
        Cheers,
        Lang
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "Dudddde...Hold my beer!".... ; "I wonder what will happen if I ...."

Comment

• Colour profile on BS3 tends to let me say American Amber or British Strong Ale or even a nice Red IPA.

Since you have all those hops, I'd gravitate to a Double Red IPA. (Not a style on its own, it's a combination of Red IPA and Double IPA and who needs style guides anyway )

Comment

• A NEIPA would take care of the hops and the lighter grains, just add more wheat and oats. A Irish Red would take care of the malts, just add a little roast barley.
            Harhm
            Last edited by Harhm; 23 June 2019, 12:47.
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Good ideas, thank you. Never thought of a red, but that's something i am definately keen to try.
              Cheers,
              Lang
              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Brewed Belgian Triple on Saturday. OG came in quite a bit lower than planned. I think the malt might be a bit old.

The yeast was Liquid Culture's Trappist Yeast - can't remember the exact name. I reused the same yeast for a Single, a Dubbel and finally, a Triple.

Comment

• Brewed a Wee Heavy on Saturday. Water volumes were WAY out on BS3, so we did an extended boil and the OG and volumes were eventually spot on.
                  Not too worried because I reckon the flavours from Maillard reaction during the boil is within style.

Really have to sort out those equipment profiles.......

Comment

• Ok, just as tinkered with on BS app on my phone, from available ingredients that I have and comments here. The upcoming brews

Saaz Bohemian Pilsener (~20L)

2kg pilsener malt
                    1.8kg pale palt
                    0.70 kg carapils
                    0.2kg medium crystal malt

26g Southern Star @ 60min
                    30g Saaz @ 30 min
                    40g Saaz @ 10 min
                    30g Saaz @ flameout
                    [Maybe reallocate some of the Saaz above to dry hop a bit as well/ instead?)

Saflager S-23

1.050 OG
                    4.8% ABV
                    39.5 IBU
                    4.4 SRM

Hack n Bash Light Hoppy Red Ale ~20L (Just to use what I have and see what comes out -Limited pale malt left-might be low on enzymes):

1.2kg pale malt
                    0.8kg Caramunich 1
                    0.6kg Medium crystal
                    0.5kg Munich 2
                    0.2kg wheat malt

Hop types/ schedule/ IBU tbd
                    Might scale down volume to up the OG
                    Likely US05 yeast

1.035 OG
                    3.4% ABV

Tear it apart with comments or warnings!

Now I just need to convince the wife that brewing these is more important than watching the little one
                    Cheers,
                    Lang
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

• Originally posted by Langchop View Post

2kg pilsener malt
                      1.8kg pale palt
                      0.70 kg carapils

30g Saaz @ 30 min
                      40g Saaz @ 10 min
                      30g Saaz @ flameout

Saflager S-23

1.050 OG
                      4.8% ABV
                      39.5 IBU
                      4.4 SRM

I did put your recipe into my GF profile on BS and get to 60 IBU - Just double check the IBU's. I used S.Star 12% AA Saaz 4.5% AA fault more than likely on my side, I don't use the GF profile a lot..

I love drinking and brewing Pilsners, and I'm sure this will be a very good beer

I like the grain bill (malty with a touch of sweetness and character from the Med Crystal, although using crystal is non traditional in Pilsners 4% isn't that much anyway and will set your beer apart from other Pilsners)

Leave the hops as is, maybe for me its a bit low on the 30min and a little bit high on the 10 min but its all personal preference after 30 min anyway.

Go for it !

Comment

Ok,

Hack n Bash Light Hoppy Red Ale ~20L (Just to use what I have and see what comes out -Limited pale malt left-might be low on enzymes):

1.2kg pale malt
                        0.8kg Caramunich 1
                        0.6kg Medium crystal
                        0.5kg Munich 2
                        0.2kg wheat malt

Likely US05 yeast

1.035 OG
                        3.4% ABV

Yes you are a bit low on diastatic power I would take 500g pale from the pilsner and use it here ( that would bring the Pils don to 4.5% abv that still in range). If you have 50% ito weight pale malt in the grain bill it should convert well enough. Mash to the low side and a bit longer if you can to get all those sugars out, it might be a bit dryer but a red needs to end slightly dry anyway. Double mill and check the pH carefully if you can.

Single addition S.Star or S,Aroma and you are good to go, Ill use SO-04 here.

Good luck on whatever you decide. You will have too easy drinking beers either way cheers !
                        Harhm
                        Last edited by Harhm; 27 June 2019, 11:07.

Comment

• Thanks for that great feedback Harhm.

The hop additions do just 'feel' like a lot, so I will definately double check that. ~40IBU also in my mind just seems a bit high for what I image when I think of a pilsener.

Maybe I should just restock on some pale malt anyway. Was looking at/ researching alternative sources to supplement enzymes.... apparently this is also an option:

"In some historic methods of producing alcoholic beverages, the conversion of starch to sugar starts with the brewer chewing grain to mix it with saliva.[9] This practice is no longer widely in use." ..... Might give it a try, but not sure how long it will take me to chew through 3.5kg of malt!
                          Langchop
                          Last edited by Langchop; 27 June 2019, 12:30. Reason: Add: [Saliva is apparently a source of alpha amylase]
                          Cheers,
                          Lang
                          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Ok, just as tinkered with on BS app on my phone, from available ingredients that I have and comments here. The upcoming brews

2kg pilsener malt
                            1.8kg pale palt
                            0.70 kg carapils

30g Saaz @ 30 min
                            40g Saaz @ 10 min
                            30g Saaz @ flameout

Saflager S-23

1.050 OG
                            4.8% ABV
                            39.5 IBU
                            4.4 SRM

1.2kg pale malt
                            0.8kg Caramunich 1
                            0.6kg Medium crystal
                            0.5kg Munich 2
                            0.2kg wheat malt

Likely US05 yeast

1.035 OG
                            3.4% ABV

Now I just need to convince the wife that brewing these is more important than watching the little one
                            I agree, move some malt from Pils to Ale. If you're bored, slot your recipe for the pilsner into beersmith (free) check the bu:gu . A pilsner sits at around 0.74. I'd personally drop the IBU on the Pilsner to 29 or 30. or it could be tip towards being too bitter for the malt to hold up?

Comment

• I've put that pilsner into my BS with my equipment profile and mash eff settings and everything seems a little high for my licking, especially the IBU, so the IBU:SG ratio is way off. Like said, you could definitely move some pale malt over to the 2nd recipe and then drop the hops by quiet a bit.

Screenshot_9.jpg
                              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• So remember that original cerveza that came out terrible? I managed to find a few hidden away and decided to retry them. Its around a year old so my expectations weren't high but its actually not as bad as back then, still not the easy drinking crisp experience I was expecting from a cerveza. It's just got to much unballanced malt sweetness.

Sent from my SM-A750F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X