This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm still busy tinkering on my Belgian Blond:

OG was 1.062 and then the sugar in secondary bumped it as if it was 1.073 OG. According to calculations ofcourse. Fermented all the way down to 1.009 FG.

This means that, again according to calculations, the ABV should sit at around 8.3% BAM!

Fermentation schedule:
    Pitch at 20C
    Down to 18C in a day or two
    Kept at 18C for 5 days
    Bumped to 21C and added table sugar (1kg [7.7% of grist] dissolved in 1L of boiling water and then cooled.)
    Kept at 21 for the next week untill 1.009 was reached.

I'm sceptical about my pitch temp, but I've seen that people pitch at higher temps in commercial breweries for this beer. (if they can manage it I can too probably.)

It's in the kegs busy carbonating and also fining with gelatine to get it nice and clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by 69degrees View Post
      So I'm still busy tinkering on my Belgian Blond:

OG was 1.062 and then the sugar in secondary bumped it as if it was 1.073 OG. According to calculations ofcourse. Fermented all the way down to 1.009 FG.

This means that, again according to calculations, the ABV should sit at around 8.3% BAM!
      What yeast did you use?
      2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Originally posted by Harhm View Post
        What yeast did you use?
        Safbrew BE-256 (Abbey/Belgian) It gave a banana smell for the first week, then when pushing the temp up it lessened quite a bit. Drew a few pints this weekend. It's still pretty 'green' and needs some time to find itself. Cabonation is done.

Comment

• Screenshot_11.jpg

Put this together for an almost all SA Beer ... do you people approve?
          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

• Solid recipe I would brew it and dryhop 1/2
            2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

• Sounds like a lekker beer. Just make sure on your yeast cell count and viability. You're on the edge of pitching one packet so there's not much of a buffer/safety net.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Flying Brew View Post
                Sounds like a lekker beer. Just make sure on your yeast cell count and viability. You're on the edge of pitching one packet so there's not much of a buffer/safety net.
                It states 1pkt, but I actually do "beer-on-beer" ... pitch new wort on old yeast on day of kegging. I do this for about ±10 brews before starting with 2x fresh packs of a different strain. The max number of beers I've done on 1 pack of yeast was about 15 and I could have easily done more.

Comment

Solid recipe I would brew it and dryhop 1/2
                  Dry-hopping ½ is not an option ...
                  firstly no hops left
                  secondly this is a 20L batch that will be kegged and I like to fill the keg as high as possible

If good, I'll brew it again and try some DH

Comment

• Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1484[/ATTACH]

Put this together for an almost all SA Beer ... do you people approve?

I have been making this Beer for a while now and still one of my favorites @ R5,50 / liter

46 liter batch.

10 kg pale malt
                    1 kg carapils

30 min 40 gram Southern Promise
                    10 min 50 grams Southern Promice plus Irish moss

Flame out 100 grams African Queen ( J 17 )

2 x 11,5 grams US-05

I have had American guests tell me it tastes like Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Great looking Beer [emoji106] Close to what I brewed [emoji38]
                      92 % Pale
                      8% Crystal 60L

S. Promise 30 min
                      J17 15 min
                      J17 5 min
                      50 IBU 1.050 with SO5
                      Dry hops J17 @ 2g/L

I started with this Sierra clone but with SA hops
                      Harhm
                      Last edited by Harhm; 8 October 2017, 14:28.

Comment

• I'll try it with the crystal next time. You can play around with the hops. I made one with aroma and passion (the one in picture) Less bitterness and more hoppy notes. I like the bitter one more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Made another batch of American Amber Ale yesterday and it's busy fermenting at 17C. Started bubbling this morning.

Comment

• I am brewing the LAAPA today!

Comment

• Originally posted by PearlJam View Post
                              I am brewing the LAAPA today!
                              Nice one enjoy the LAAPA, keep us posted.

I pitched yeast for 2 no-chill Lagers this morning: #4 and #5 of my Caste Lite recipe. I brewed #4 just over 6 months ago #5 is a fresh batch that I brewed the past weekend.
                              Harhm
                              Last edited by Harhm; 26 October 2017, 10:43.

Comment

Nice one enjoy the LAAPA, keep us posted.

I pitched yeast for 2 no-chill Lagers this morning: #4 and #5 of my Caste Lite recipe. I brewed #4 just over 6 months ago #5 is a fresh batch that I brewed the past weekend.

Going on the taste of the gravity sample, this is not going to last long!!

Does that mean you brewed batch #4 6 months ago and it sat there without yeast?

Comment

Working...
                                X