New brewer needing advice on fermenter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Toxxyc View Post
    I have to say I'm quite happy with my starter kit. I didn't know about the crap hydrometers in the Cooper kits though, so that makes a difference. On the flipside, BevPlus has GREAT fermenters also for pretty cheap. 57l with grommet, tap and airlock for something like R388. Other stuff is shit expensive though.
    Those are nice for double/tripple keg batches yes , They're just a little to wide for my fermentation fridge if i remember correctly.
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I'm considering getting two of them to start making mead using Kveik. Larger volumes is better and easier, and making mead is a ~30 minute brew day anyway.

Comment

Well I just ordered one of these after confirming that they are doing online orders at the moment.

https://www.brewcraft.co.za/mangrove...html?cat=24212

Now the impatient wait for the couriers to do their thing so I can be drinking my first batch in about 4 weeks methinks. Can survive on Gin and Whiskey until then I suppose.
        There once was a man from Nantucket.
        Who brewed his beer in a bucket.
        He put the wort into there,
        to cut down on the air.
        Then drank it all up like a muppet.

Comment

I'm considering getting two of them to start making mead using Kveik. Larger volumes is better and easier, and making mead is a ~30 minute brew day anyway.
          any reason using kveik?

Comment

Originally posted by groenspookasem View Post
            any reason using kveik?
            I don't have space in my fermentation chamber for those large fermenting vessels, so I want to be able to ferment at room temperature. In winter it's not a problem (there's a room in my house that I can tune to 15°C constantly if I try a little bit), but in summer that changes. I want to start making mead commercially some day, so I'm doing test runs now, but ~25l goes too quickly for the time I put in (takes about a month per batch, and it's gone in a week). So if I can make ~100l at a time, it'll last a bit longer at least, but for that, I want to try and use Kveik.

Comment

I don't have space in my fermentation chamber for those large fermenting vessels, so I want to be able to ferment at room temperature. In winter it's not a problem (there's a room in my house that I can tune to 15°C constantly if I try a little bit), but in summer that changes. I want to start making mead commercially some day, so I'm doing test runs now, but ~25l goes too quickly for the time I put in (takes about a month per batch, and it's gone in a week). So if I can make ~100l at a time, it'll last a bit longer at least, but for that, I want to try and use Kveik.
              sounds good, just keep in mind kveik wont go any faster with simple sugars than most sacc. cerv. are you going to do multiple batches or looking for a 100l fermentor? just keep in mind the pressure on the yeast purely from a volumetric point and also that's 100kg of liquid that you need to move around / heat

Comment

sounds good, just keep in mind kveik wont go any faster with simple sugars than most sacc. cerv. are you going to do multiple batches or looking for a 100l fermentor? just keep in mind the pressure on the yeast purely from a volumetric point and also that's 100kg of liquid that you need to move around / heat
                I'm planning 50l batches for now. I don't think it'll go any quicker or easier or anything that regular yeast (been using 71B to date), I simply want to see if I can make a "clean" mead that's drinkable in a month without having to keep the fermenter at 20°C for two weeks, that's about all.

I believe kveik is also a bit more nutrient intensive, so I'll ramp up the feeding as well.

EDIT: I didn't think about the volumetric pressure on the yeast. Will have to look at that. How do big guys get over it? Talking about fermenting in 10,000l containers and even bigger?

EDIT2: Seems like pressure is less of an issue than I figured: https://www.quora.com/How-much-press...ops-fermenting Under 500ATM there's no change. 500ATM, by the way, is about 5,000m of water pressure. Even at full scale, I doubt I'll ever ferment anywhere near those pressures.
                Toxxyc
                Last edited by Toxxyc; 7 May 2020, 11:53.

Comment

Originally posted by FriedPiggy View Post
                  Well I just ordered one of these after confirming that they are doing online orders at the moment.

https://www.brewcraft.co.za/mangrove...html?cat=24212

Now the impatient wait for the couriers to do their thing so I can be drinking my first batch in about 4 weeks methinks. Can survive on Gin and Whiskey until then I suppose.

Then they should update their website to reflect that info ???

Screenshot_4.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    Then they should update their website to reflect that info ???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2349[/ATTACH]
                    Ouch,! Jigsaw - did you manage to get some malts on hand?

Comment

Ouch,! Jigsaw - did you manage to get some malts on hand?

Waiting on a delivery from Beerlab for Grain + Hops

Comment

Mint ! Whatcha brewing? I'm liking the larger hop quantities from BL right now, cheap too (considering)

Comment

Mint ! Whatcha brewing? I'm liking the larger hop quantities from BL right now, cheap too (considering)
                          Might be a shock, but I have no idea. I just ordered some of their newer hops and enough grain for 2 batches .... so I might just keep it easy and do 2 SMaSH type brews. I have enough specialty grain in case i decide to change it up a bit.

this was the order.....
                          Screenshot_6.jpg

Comment

I was hovering on those, but I have to kill my hop stash before it gets too old. I'm bummed I missed out on the East Kent bulk buy, I hope they do well enough now to have another special :-) Enjoy the brews, I'm stilling this weekend, stripping and spirit run for some gin, I'll tap some neutral off for a bit of limoncello

Comment

Working...
                            X