Klaus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klaus

Hi I'm Nik. I'd like to say my middle name is Klaus but it isn't. A good friend of mine after several beers decided that Nicholas should not be shortened to Nik and instead should be Nik-Klaus, which became Klaus and so here I am. It was funny at the time honestly.

I'm also known as the afrowelshman which was decided in even less hilarious terms.

But hey, we're here to talk about beer.

I've been brewing since about 2009 after my wife got fed up of me whining about how much better the beer was in Wales and bought me a starter kit. I promptly made a truly awful kit beer that I enjoyed every drop of and then quickly graduated to producing some reasonably tasty extract brews. I moved to Cape Town in 2010 and my homebrewing started to lapse mostly due to a lack of available supplies and the rising cost of malt extract and kits. Luckily I was saved by Beerguevara opening in Newlands just around the corner from me and I re-entered the fray as a dedicated all-grain brewer. Since then I've made about 15 beers in varying styles and am currently focussing more on simple recipes to understand what each ingredient does.

During a home brew swapping session with Simon (the administrator and moderator who must be obeyed ) the idea for a forum came up. I promptly came up with the name and then let Simon do all the actual work. And now that I've finally got off my lazy behind and started posting I'm really looking forward to sharing ideas with some likeminded individuals.

Ah a genuine taffy is it, trust you can sing. My folks are from Pontypridd and I have the same surname as a reasonably famous singer from there. I have sampled many beers around that way (my uncle is a pro), particularly enjoyed a Brains or two down in Cardiff.

First class name for the forum.
    "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

Welcome Nik

Yes Nik and I are friends and it was he who encouraged me to start WortsandAll... In fact it's his fault I make my own beer in the first place. For a classic read you need to go to his (rarely) beer related blog http://www.afrowelshman.blogspot.com. I am led to believe he can play some decent guitar but can't confirm this but he does have decent taste in rock guitar

He makes an awesome Munich Hellas BTW...
      Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Hi Bryan - yep a genuine taffy indeed - the quality of my singing is intrinsically linked to the volume of Brains consumption! I know Pontypridd very well - my entire family is from the Rhondda and I grew up near to Caerphilly. And spookily enough I see your location is Edenvale which is where I started in South Africa - my wife is from Eastleigh Ridge. Tis a small world. Glad you approve of the forum name also.

Thanks for the plug Simon - just for that I will write something 7% funnier than normal some time in the next month or six

Comment

It gets spookier, as I realised paging through your blog last night, I am in Eastleigh Ridge, Diaz to be exact.

Enjoying your blog , haven't got too far, surprised ABSA and a few other places haven't sued.
          "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

Practically neighbours for a while it seems!

As for being sued by corporates...luckily my seven readers can keep a secret hehe

Comment

Welcome. So, It seems I must thank you for being the encouragement.
              And a thank you to Simon as well for starting this forum.
              I just want to brew more beer, but time is not on my side at the moment, unlike what the strolling bones may suggest. What a song btw.
              Primary: Bohemian Lager
              Secondary: Bohemian lager/ Ale fusion - Added US-05 to secondary
              Next up: Bohemian Lager
              Then: Bohemian Lager
              And Then: Bohemian Lager
              Conditioning: Chucked Fruit Ale

"What he doth, he doth by rule of Thumb, and not by Art."
              "What's the use of having a mind when you can't change it?"

Comment

Working...
              X