Heating element tolerance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heating element tolerance

On another thread we were chatting about heating elements. I mentioned that my Camco 5,5kW elements' output was low and they are actually 5,1kW (this is all at 240V).

I asked Camco about it and this is their reply:
    "The UL 1030 in the design standard our heating elements are certified to. It allows for a manufacturing tolerance of +5% and -10% on the wattage. For an element with 5500W nominal rating the acceptable power range is 4950W to 5775W at 240V. This gives an acceptable resistance range of 9.97 - 11.64 ohms. An element with a resistance of 11.20 ohms is well within the tolerance limit. It is only 6.5% below the nominal."

Funny thing is that all three of the elements I have are 11,2ohms so maybe they are not even targeting 5,5kW in their designs.
    "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

This means that at 230V, my elements are only 4,6kW.
    "I’m Allergic to grass. Hey, it could be worse. I could be allergic to beer." – Greg Norman

Comment

I'm sure that's more than enough [emoji1]
      Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

The more the merrier. Lucky I didn't order the 4,5kW.

Comment

Working...
        X