Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simplified PID for BIAB

Hi guys,
    There are some brilliant electrical control boxes out there for BIAB.
    But I thought I wanted something simpler and smaller, one vessel brewery takes up a lot of space you know

So this is what I came up with….
    - PID – Rex C100, Solid state relay, heat sink and probe from EBay R275
    - Kitchen timer from EBay R38
    - Enclosure from Communica R224
    - Wires, plugs, switches, etc. I reckon around R200
    - Piece if duct tape on the side (because I mounted the PID to close to the side) from Idiotville.com R100000000 in school fees.

Anyhow, the idea is;
    - The Controller plugs into the wall and the urn plugs into the controller (on top).
    - When the switch in in the 0 position the thing is not doing anything.
    - When I switch it over to “Mash” the PID and the SSR does its thing, switching the urn on and off. Must say after I auto tuned it works brilliantly…… before auto tune… not so much
    - When I switch it to “Boil” it cuts out the PID and goes straight full power to the urn.
    - The kitchen timer is independently stuck on the outside, just giving a nice loud beeping when, it is time for me to do something. (I’m considering a different timer… smaller one… but I’m going to brew with it first to test the principal.)
    - The clamp on top is to clamp it to the handle of the urn…
    - Oh and the element light just lets me know there is power to the plug socket (urn).

Without further ado. Some pictures
    Attached Files

Nice one, although I have no idea what's going on there
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Looks great! Google the high gravity brew electric biab systems for some inspiration :-)

Comment

Thanks!

Pumps and circulaing wort is still a long way off for me....
        Besides I have stop building stuff and do some actual brewing for a change. :-)

Comment

Hehe. Yes, that happens with these projects sometimes ;-)

Comment

Hi guys,

Just an update to this.
            After 5 years any many brews, the SSR melted.

Turns out the cheap eBay ones are apparently not really rated 40A, more like less than 20A. So it must have been running hotter than expected. A fan like PaulR has put in his would have been a good idea.

I'm re-building the controller with a better SSR and some ventilation as well.
            I'll post some pics when done.

Comment

That's a bummer, like like I said in some other threads, the homebrewers in UK & US put huge heatsinks on their SSR's
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

5years isnt that bad though!

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Comment

@jigsaw, mine had a heatsink, BUT is was inside and er.... I didn't use a thermo compound.

@Jannieverjaar, agreed and you could probably buy 5 of them for the same price as a decent one. So the decent must last more than 25years :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X