Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIAB Stand for Basterfield Urn

Good morning forum peoples....

I have been struggling to get something to use as a BIAB stand from my Basterfield Urn.

Something that won't break the bank, but also doesn't have too little or too small apertures.

The classic pizza tray solution falls into the too small aperture category and I couldn't find one small enough to fit inside the urn (330mm diameter). Most of them have an edge that makes them to big.

The cool looking ones at Brew Engineers (one that Simon uses) fall into the breaking the bank category... and maybe smallish apertures...

So... a fellow wortsandall'er mentioned that he has a "wire cooling rack" which sounded like something that has big apertures and won't break the bank...Great stuff...... unfortunately finding a round one, with high enough legs proved to be the next problem.

However, this idea of a grill type thing, made me gravitate toward the braai section in Builder's the other day...

Where I found this (R110.00):

Cutting off the handles, adding three bolts, three nuts and six washers I turned it into this (+R40.00);

Which fits into the urn like so (total R150);

Yes, yes....done building stuff..... I will finally do some brewing over the weekend!
    Attached Files
    ljm109
    Last edited by ljm109; 22 May 2015, 10:10.

Looks good!
    bluemountainbrew.co.za

Primary:
    Secondary: Apple & Cranberry Wine, Strawberry Wine, Mead,
    Conditioning:
    Bottled/Kegged: Black Ale/BIPA (SYSF)
    Next Up:​ ?Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout?

Comment

That's a cool idea

I'm just using the round grill that came with the microwave ... works ok with my gas setup
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Jigsaw, is a stand really needed with gas?

Comment

Originally posted by ljm109 View Post
          Jigsaw, is a stand really needed with gas?
          Rather safe than sorry, as I've read on some other forums of guys melting their bags. The melting point of the material is probably only about ±250ºC & the water/wort would never go above 80ºC while heating/mashing with the bag, but while heating, certain parts at the bottom of the pot could go up to temps well above 250ºC

The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

I melted my bag on my last brew. My false bottom is a little small for the pot (working on getting another one). So while I was stirring a small part of the bag went in between the false bottom and pot and burned a big hole.

Here I am standing at 1 AM in the morning hyping myself up so that I have enough power to pull the bag out of the pot. Standing on a chair, Getting a good grip on the bag, counted to 3 and put all my power into lifting the bag.

I almost fell of the chair because guess what, not a single grain left in the bag. As I was lifting the bag the hole got bigger and everything just fell out into the pot.

Comment

Originally posted by medic View Post
              I melted my bag on my last brew. My false bottom is a little small for the pot (working on getting another one). So while I was stirring a small part of the bag went in between the false bottom and pot and burned a big hole.

Here I am standing at 1 AM in the morning hyping myself up so that I have enough power to pull the bag out of the pot. Standing on a chair, Getting a good grip on the bag, counted to 3 and put all my power into lifting the bag.

I almost fell of the chair because guess what, not a single grain left in the bag. As I was lifting the bag the hole got bigger and everything just fell out into the pot.
              Man that sux.

Comment

Ah man that's sound painful! ..... with a lot more colourful word of course...

Comment

Great solution for the problem.
                  I am looking at getting a Basterfield Urn for my sparge water preparation. I see it has the Temp control knob.
                  How does it work? Does it just have random numbers representing varying heat levels, or can one specify the actual desired temp?

Comment

Originally posted by Bradley View Post
                    Great solution for the problem.
                    I am looking at getting a Basterfield Urn for my sparge water preparation. I see it has the Temp control knob.
                    How does it work? Does it just have random numbers representing varying heat levels, or can one specify the actual desired temp?

I think those are random numbers with a random, very rough temp per number.
                    I suggest you get a proper thermometer and then check what each number REALLY means and whether these settings are sensitive enough for mashing in and mash-out.

If they are not matching any usable temp, then the only option is to start wiring in a temp controller. Some of the other guys can help with that, I'm electrically challenged............

Comment

Hi Bradley,

Short answer... No you can't specify an actual temp.

Long answer....
                      The knob is numbered 1 to 10 and "full"
                      Behind the knob is a "Simmerstat".
                      Simmerstats are like thermostats, but without measuring the temperature of the actual water.
                      They have a tiny little element inside the simmerstat, that heats up a bi-metal strip which in turn switches the urn on and off. The knob adjusts the temperature range at which the bi-metal strip opens and closes.
                      So, as I said, like a thermostat but using the temperature of an arbitrary element nowhere near your water. It's a very vague way of controlling temperature.

You will need a thermometer of some sort.
                      I also don't how constant the simmerstat is, if you set it at 5 and it holds a temperature of say 50 degrees today, I'm not sure it will do the same 50 degrees at 5 tomorrow.

I used it for a while before my PID and had to just check temps manually.
                      I have since taken the simmerstat out of the loop and work straight from the PID.

Comment

First thing I modified on my urn was replacing the thermostat with a toggle switch and removing the boil dry safety switch. Digital thermometers are really cheap and have a reliable accuracy. http://www.thebeerkeg.co.za/catalog/...ermometer.html they can be found cheaper at plant shops. They are usually used for hydroponics...
                        Primary: APA
                        Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                        Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                        Next up: world domination

Comment

Working...
                        X