Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porter

Hi Guys

Thinking of brewing this recipe over the weekend. my first dark beer so wouldn't mind a little input.
    batch size 20l. (ill scale it down to 12l)
    5.5kg SAB Pale Malt
    0.35kg Chocloate Malt
    0.3kg Black Malt
    0.25kg Cara Dark
    10g Green Bullet (60 mins)
    10g Bramling Cross (15min)
    10g Bramling Cross (5min)
    Yeast US-05

I'm pretty confident what the malts are concerned. but would like some input on the Hops. I've never used any of the 2, and see they are on special so thought I would give them a go.
    Also not 100% sure on the yeast I have a lot of washed 05 around and I've seen some porters use it so yeah.

Thanks!

porters are pretty easy beers to make, partly because the style is fairly open to interpretation. however, i'd personally lean towards using more english ingredients, especially the hops. EKG and fuggles are favorites.

also, while us-05 would probably be ok, again, an english yeast would make it just that much extra special.
    that guy al
    Last edited by that guy al; 25 June 2015, 20:44.

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
      porters are pretty easy beers to make, partly because the style is fairly open to interpretation. however, i'd personally lean towards using more english ingredients, especially the hops. EKG and fuggles are favorites.

also, while us-05 would probably be ok, again, an english yeast would make it just that much extra special.
      Yeah, according to Beerguevera the hops are from the UK and the alpha acid levels are close to those of fuggles and EKG or the ones the recipe suggested. but since its on a special I might maybe just as well buy all the hops and brew 2 batches and see what its like!
      as for the yeast I think I might get some English yeast. rather do something proper than not do it at all hey!

Comment

yep. as i said, theres a shit ton of variations on the style so you couldn't really be "wrong" per se. whatever floats your boat.

for my taste though, i prefer the more "traditional" versions.

Comment

yep. as i said, theres a shit ton of variations on the style so you couldn't really be "wrong" per se. whatever floats your boat.

for my taste though, i prefer the more "traditional" versions.
          Cool you maybe have a good traditional recipe? wouldn't mind trying both and comparing.

Comment

If you don't get the English yeast use the US-05 and call it a new world porter. The recipe looks good but I'll spend that extra few bucks (+-R60) and get Marris Otter as the base malt. Then it will be really special.
            Primary: APA
            Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
            Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
            Next up: world domination

Comment

Never seen that hops used in mainline recipes. In fact, never seen the names, where did you find them?
              Might be worth a try, but I'd stick with an english ale yeast.
              I second the use of Marris Otter, although I suppose the SAB malt is just there for the alcohol and enzymes.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                Never seen that hops used in mainline recipes. In fact, never seen the names, where did you find them?
                Might be worth a try, but I'd stick with an english ale yeast.
                I second the use of Marris Otter, although I suppose the SAB malt is just there for the alcohol and enzymes.
                Beerguevera has them on sale, dont know if they are old or what but though ill give them a try.
                http://beerguevara.com/product/bramling-cross-uk/
                http://beerguevara.com/product/green-bullet-nz/
                Think ill brew one batch with them and one batch with EKG and fuggles and keep the malts the same. can be cool to see what the hops does! Think ill go half half with the Otter and SAB pale.
                but def rather go with a English yeast.
                VenomZA
                Last edited by VenomZA; 26 June 2015, 07:51.

Comment

Originally posted by VenomZA View Post
                  Cool you maybe have a good traditional recipe? wouldn't mind trying both and comparing.
                  i posted this recipe which was originally a porter but morphed into a stout over time. however, there's nothing wrong with your recipe. substitute the SAB with marris otter, use EKG, northern brewer and/or fuggles and you're 'traditional'.

oh, and i think english yeast is a must too. i'd offer you some of the english yeast i have but it needs a starter so it won't be usable by this weekend. i'm sure you could pick up some S04 though.

Comment

also interesting:

https://byo.com/stories/item/514-cre...n-great-porter

Comment

i posted this recipe which was originally a porter but morphed into a stout over time. however, there's nothing wrong with your recipe. substitute the SAB with marris otter, use EKG, northern brewer and/or fuggles and you're 'traditional'.

oh, and i think english yeast is a must too. i'd offer you some of the english yeast i have but it needs a starter so it won't be usable by this weekend. i'm sure you could pick up some S04 though.
                      Cool thanks! haha no problem. Ill just pick some up tomorrow. But will take you up on the offer next time i need some new yeast
                      A Stir plate is also definitely on my "next to get/build list", along with a gas burner;mash tun;50l pot, chiller etc etc etc...
                      But think a stir plate will probably win the race.
                      What would you say? Us-04 or Windsor Ale yeast? ive seen both in recipes.

Comment

Cool thanks! haha no problem. Ill just pick some up tomorrow. But will take you up on the offer next time i need some new yeast
                        A Stir plate is also definitely on my "next to get/build list", along with a gas burner;mash tun;50l pot, chiller etc etc etc...
                        But think a stir plate will probably win the race.
                        What would you say? Us-04 or Windsor Ale yeast? ive seen both in recipes.
                        well, a stir plate is probably the most attainable. you more than likely have most, if not all of the parts lying around somewhere and it's super easy to put together.

i've never used windsor so i'd say S04.

Comment

Personal preference, S-04
                          Cheers

Jacques

Comment

Update,

So today was brew day! Ive never done a dark beer, have to say the milled Malts smells amazing! almost like choc Pro-Nutro!
                            I decide to go with the green bullet and Bramling Cross. Also used Windsor yeast.
                            Ill transfer to Secondary next weekend or the weekend after and then brew a batch with EKG hops and see how it differs!
                            Cheers

Comment

Update,

So today was brew day! Ive never done a dark beer, have to say the milled Malts smells amazing! almost like choc Pro-Nutro!
                              I decide to go with the green bullet and Bramling Cross. Also used Windsor yeast.
                              Ill transfer to Secondary next weekend or the weekend after and then brew a batch with EKG hops and see how it differs!
                              Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X