South African Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South African Recipes

Does anyone here have some nice recipes that uses only locally produced ingredients. Wan't to try going all South African.
    "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

You'll be a bit limited in terms of grains but you can get SAB pale malt and Black Patent Malt from SAB maltings. You can get pretty much any colour with that combination but not much in terms of mouth feel. You could roast some pale malt in the oven to get some cara-malt going.

Hops there is a better selection (very cheap as well). I've only used Southern Passion before and it is a decent bittering hop and it has some nice floral notes.

There is spec sheets out there for most of the SAB hops: http://www.wortsandall.co.za/showthr...l-hop-profiles

For yeast you are out of luck. Don't use Anchor's bread yeast . Use US-05 so that the yeast doesn't contribute much to the beer flavour. Or even better next time you are at a brewery take a sanitized mason jar and ask the brewer if you can borrow some of their yeast (has anybody actually done this before?). It'll most probably be imported but you still sourced it locally.

Let us know.
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

Comment

I have made a batch using only SAB pale malt, Southern Dawn hops as bittering and Southern Passion hops as aroma and it was a really nice beer for me. I really like using SA only products and was wondering if anyone had some good recipes to share.
      "I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's as good as they're going to feel all day." -Dean Martin

Comment

I doubt that I have any all SA ingredients recipes, but you can use Anchor Brewer's Yeast instead of other yeasts.

If I find any I will post.

Comment

Working...
        X