Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jis Manne

Hi Everybody

Thanks to the guys who started this forum, I look forward to learning a lot from all you senior brewers.

My Heavy and I decided to take our love for beer to the next level and start brewing our own.
    So we acquired some basic things and "engineered" some of our own.

As we are new at this we decided to go the partial mash route.

We thought to start with a nice Blonde recipe we found on the net and started sourcing the ingredients.
    So past Sunday morning was the big day and all went as smooth as possible keeping in mind we are
    newbies at this.

Anyway it's all in the fermentor and awaiting the test in about two weeks time.

Here are some pics af the days work. Sorry there aren't any photos of the cooling process as this was
    a bit hectic for us and I forgot about the photos hahahaa. Luckily it wasn't something else I forgot.

Anyway cheers and looking forward to hearing from you guys.
    20150726_103524.jpg20150726_103534.jpg20150726_103546.jpg20150726_112746.jpg20150726_112753.jpg20150726_114125.jpg20150726_114547.jpg20150726_114600.jpg20150726_114628.jpg20150726_114640.jpg20150726_114653.jpg20150726_114754.jpg20150726_115055.jpg20150726_115546.jpg20150726_115655.jpg20150726_115735.jpg20150726_115955.jpg20150726_120034.jpg20150726_150623.jpg20150726_115716.jpg

Welcome Welcome

Comment

Welcome

Don't rush things ... the instructions might say you can test/drink in 2 weeks, but you should only start taking the FG at that stage & then start dropping the temps to clear (cold crash).

Happy brewing.
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

welcome to the forums and happy brewing!

Comment

Welcome, it looks like a fun brew day.

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
          Don't rush things ... the instructions might say you can test/drink in 2 weeks, but you should only start taking the FG at that stage & then start dropping the temps to clear (cold crash)
          +1 to what Jigsaw said.

And don't F-up the bottling! (probably the biggest newbie mistake)
          Primary: APA
          Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
          Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
          Next up: world domination

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys we will take every precaution before bottling and testing.

What do you guys think maybe we should do a porter next ?

Better suited to the cold weather ?

Comment

Do an IPA/Pale ale. Your first few brews you will want to drink as soon as possible and by making a porter or stout that needs at least 2-3 months to condition is going to kill you.

Then after you have a decent supply you can start making heavier/stronger brews that you can leave alone and drink when it is perfect

Originally posted by Eighty5ix View Post
              Better suited to the cold weather ?
              Start your planning/brewing for the winter in Jan/Feb. Spring is in a month

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
                ...making a porter or stout that needs at least 2-3 months to condition is going to kill you.
                Generally Porters & stouts do not need longer conditioning. The very roasty beers sometimes need time to have the acrid change to chocolate, but there are ways of getting the chocolate immediately without the wait.

The high abv beers might need more time, but Brown and Robust porters, and Dry, Sweet and Oatmeal Stouts are all fairly low abv beers.

Comment

I made a oatmeal stout in October last year and when I discovered a few extra bottles in the cupboard in June and it tasted amazing compared to the bland green taste it had in January. Wished I had a few more bottles. I'm still sad.

Comment

Thanks again guys will keep the time frame in mind.

Maybe an IPA won't be such a bad idea. Before the Porter

Comment

i'd go with a stout or a porter.

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                        i'd go with a stout or a porter.
                        +1
                        You still have about 2-3 months before CT winter really goes away. But dont delay, brew it the weekend!

Comment

Working...
                        X