PDA

View Full Version : Pretoria meeting

DieBaas
6th August 2015, 08:47
Went to my 2nd club meeting last night. Mauritz had a very good and lengthy talk about phenols in beer and explained it very well by adding a drop or 2 of Laphroaig in a snifter full of beer. Turning an IPA into a horrid tasting mess.
Johan had a good presentation on all of the grain that is available in SA. Taking us through the kilning process and ended with us tasting loads of grains including special-x and red-x, both good stuff.
Then there was Dave Elliot that took us through a presentation of his visit to the Cantillon brewery in Belgium and had everyone of us green with envy.
Closed of the night with an attempt at a league tasting. And I was extremely disappointed, only a few beers was officially up for tasting with a few more coming out of the cracks. The first beer that was there for tasting had something wrong with it. Not sure what it was but couldn't drink it. Then there was a sweet stout that I found to be way too sweet for my taste. And there was a few bottles from a beginner brewer that has some infection problem as all of them were too dry and too sour.
So all in all a good informative night with not so lekker tasting beer in the end.

AtronSeige
6th August 2015, 08:58
...Cantillon brewery in Belgium and had everyone of us green with envy.

If you want to taste the Cantillon beers, let me know. I can get some of the 750 ml bottles at around R700 per bottle.

DieBaas
6th August 2015, 10:55
If you want to taste the Cantillon beers, let me know. I can get some of the 750 ml bottles at around R700 per bottle.

Bliksem that is quite expensive. I'll let you know.

AtronSeige
6th August 2015, 11:09
Bliksem that is quite expensive. I'll let you know.

Small batch imports end up hurting the pocket :(

kingcur
6th August 2015, 17:43
That is unfortunate. Not to brag, but we had about 20 beers at the Worthogs East tasting last week. I didn't taste all of them, but the ones I did were all decent. Especially the Red Velvet Stout.