Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help understanding mash steps on recipe

Hi Everyone.

I'm pretty much still a newby (batches #3 and #4 in primary fermentation). I'm going to attempt the below Paulaner Hefeweizen Naturtrub clone over the weekend (I've converted Fahrenheit to Celsius). I'm struggling to understand the recipe's steps, specifically for mashing.

Am I correct that the steps would be as follows:
    1. Add 6.54 L of water to the mash tun at 49.0 C
    2. Add all grains, temperature drops to 44.0 C
    3. Steep for 20 min
    4. Add 5.54 L of water at 100.0 C
    5. Mash temperature raises to 66.6 C
    6. Steep for 40 min
    7. Heat mash to 75.6 C over 2 min,
    8. Steep for 10 min
    9. Tap off and sparge with 13.79 L at 75.5 C
    10. Final tap off

What confuses me is the steps in the "Notes" section. They seem different than what the Mash steps are. Are they different steps all together? What do they mean by "After infusion" ?

Also, what would be the best way to do the "Heat mash to 75.6 C over 2 min" step, using a beginner cooler box mash tun (no heating element)?

Any other advise welcome!

Recipe:

Paulaner Hefeweizen Naturtrub Clone

This recipe was derived from pictures taken of ingredient list specified for "Paulaner Hefeweizen Naturtrub" aka=Paulaner. from Munich Brewery tour taken in 2005. The procedures were developed from information learned in this thread. Upon brewing and tasting, I would say this beer is probably as close as you are going to get to a clone. The most important parts of this recipe are: 1. The malt must be German. Yes it makes a major difference. Weyermann seems to be one of the top choices. 2. The other thing is temperature control in fermentation. Although there is no overall consensus on it, it seems that fermenting in the low 60* (15.5-18.33 Celsius) is best.
    Cheers guys!

Type: All Grain
    Batch Size: 19.00 L
    Boil Size: 21.75 L
    Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Chapman Brew Equipment June 2006
    Brewhouse Efficiency: 73.0 Adjust to your own setup
    Taste Notes: This is a collaborative effort by/for homebrewers to mimic the Hefe's of Munich. By "selair" and the posters on "The Great Bavarian Weissbier Project of 2007" thread on the Northern Brewer Homebrew Forum.

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
    2.308 kg Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt (2.1 SRM) Grain 56.0 %
    1.401 kg Weyermann Pilsner Malt (2.1 SRM) Grain 34.0 %
    300 g Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 7.3 %
    91 g Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 2.2 %
    22.5 g Carafa II (412.0 SRM) Grain 0.5 %
    17.6 g Hallertauer [4.60%] (60 min) Hops 10.3 IBU
    11.6 g Hallertauer Hersbrucker [3.10%] (15 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
    5.51 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
    1 Pkgs Hefeweizen IV Ale (White Labs #WLP380)

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
    Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
    Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.0 %
    Bitterness: 12.6 IBU
    Calories: 468 cal/l
    Est Color: 7.7 SRM

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Double Infusion, Light Body Total Grain Weight: 4.123 kg
    Sparge Water: 13.79 L Grain
    Temperature: 22.22 C
    Sparge Temperature: 75.5 C
    Tun Temperature: 22.22 C
    Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
    Protein Rest Add 6.54 L of water at 49.0 C 44.0 C 20 min
    Saccrification Add 5.54 L of water at 100.0 C 66.6 C 40 min
    Step Heat to 75.6 C over 2 min 75.6 C 10 min

Carbonation
    Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2)
    Volumes of CO2: 3.6
    Pressure/Weight: 29.8 PSI
    Carbonation Used: -
    Keg/Bottling Temperature: 8.9 C
    Age for: 21.0 days
    Storage Temperature: 8.9 C

Notes

After infusion, make sure the temp stabilizes at 43.89 C. Rest there for 20 mins to bring mash pH down and increase clovey character of finished beer. Heat if necessary to maintain temp. Heat slowly to 65.5 C and hold until iodine tests negative (40-60 mins). Slowly (10 mins) bring up to 76.7 C and hold for 5 mins. Do not let the sparge water get over 76.6 C and do not let lauter runoff gravity drop below 1.008 to avoid tannin extraction.

Boil:
    Boil for 5 minutes to allow for protein coagulation to start and then boil for 1 hour with bittering hops and then with 15 mins remaining (at the 45 minute mark) add aroma hops. Do not add Irish moss or any other clarifying agents. Cool to 12.2 C. Rack into open fermentation bucket and aerate significantly.

Ferment/Kegging.
    At 12.22 C, pitch yeast from an activator pack, or a small yeast starter and allow to rise to 17.22 (not above) and hold for primary fermentation. Primary should be complete 72 hours after initial fermentation begins (If healthy vigorous fermentation occurs). Let stand for 7-10 days in primary and then rack into keg/bottle. If kegging, cool to 8.9 C and add forced Co2 at 30psi @ 8.9 C. Store at 8.9 C for 3 weeks before drinking. Serve at 8.9 C as well. For optimum flavour, let condition for 3-4 weeks. You can drink young, but flavour matures slowly.

This my friend, is a Step-Mash recipe.

The process involves changing the temperature of your mash over time. Typically this falls out of the realm of most home brewers because it is complicated and in most cases not necessary.

In your case, the notes and the mash guidelines differ in instruction, but the net result seems to be the same. Either keep on adding boiling water to gradually raise the temperature (this you can do), or mash with the full volume water and add heat (this you cannot do) to raise the temperature.

I would strongly suggest that you simplify the whole process and simply mash for an hour at 67C and then sparge with 75C. All the fancy steps and things will probably not have such a big effect on the final product. A more experienced brewer here might give you better advice.

I think by infusion he means when all the grains are added, so just after dough-in.
    For things I'm selling:
    - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
    - I am located in Pretoria East
    - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

Comment

Getack is right, it's a typical step mash. Impossible to raise the wort temp in the mash unless you actually drain some wort and heat that and put it back into the mashtun, but this WILL probably add caramel overtones and darken the colour. It was however the only way it could be done in the old days without using something like heated rocks...........

Comment

No one bothers with step mashes anymore with today's malts
        Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Thanks, everyone.

I'll simplify the recipe as getack suggested.

Comment

If you *really* want to do step mashing, get a mashtun that you heat (direct or using a heat exchanger of some sorts). It makes life easier.

But, if this sounds too boring and you want to spend a few more hours brewing, you can do step mashing by doing decoction!

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
              If you *really* want to do step mashing, get a mashtun that you heat (direct or using a heat exchanger of some sorts). It makes life easier.

But, if this sounds too boring and you want to spend a few more hours brewing, you can do step mashing by doing decoction!
              Jaco you're getting too complicated! :drunk:

Comment

Thanks for all the advise, guys.

I ended up doing a single (or is this two?) step: 12l @ 66 degrees for 40 minutes, drained to above grain bed, then 13l at 75 for 20 minutes, and drained/sparged. OG was 56.

It's now been 5 days exactly, and there is still a bit of activity at the airlock. I've just done a SG reading, indicating it is at 12. Is this fermenting very fast, or is that normal? Had a taste, and no off flavours, but VERY sweet still.

Comment

Fermentation is perfect, but let it sit, even if it looks finish ... secret is to be patient
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by Juan Haywood View Post
                    Thanks for all the advise, guys.

I ended up doing a single (or is this two?) step: 12l @ 66 degrees for 40 minutes, drained to above grain bed, then 13l at 75 for 20 minutes, and drained/sparged. OG was 56.

It's now been 5 days exactly, and there is still a bit of activity at the airlock. I've just done a SG reading, indicating it is at 12. Is this fermenting very fast, or is that normal? Had a taste, and no off flavours, but VERY sweet still.
                    Refractometer or hydrometer readings?. Jigsaw is right, let it sit.

Comment

Working...
                    X