Clear All

• National Homebrew Champs 2015

Got a mail from Kevin Ryan this morning with the following info:
    "
    Also the dates for the National Home Brew Competition have been decided

30 October 2015 - Entries close That leaves nearly 8 weeks to brew
    14 November 2015 - North/South round judging
    28 November 2015 - Final Judging and probably announcement of winners

Entry will be via the http://nationalhomebrew.co.za/ website, but it still needs to be updated for this years competition. Time to get brewing

"

I'm thinking of entering but some beers takes more than 8 weeks to really shine...
    Primary: APA
    Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
    Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
    Next up: world domination

Hmmm. Wonder if I should enter my English Bitter
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

His email changed the coming weekend from "Be an adult and fix things around the house" to "Brew as many beers as possible!"

Good Luck!

Comment

Do you think we would be allowed to enter our club as Worts & All?

Comment

do you receive feedback on the judged beer?
          I wont mind entering a beer or 2 just to receive some feedback, as I highly doubt my beer will win a comp like this lol

Comment

Originally posted by AtronSeige View Post
            Do you think we would be allowed to enter our club as Worts & All?
            That would be great, but I'm not sure we count as a club.

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
              I'm thinking of entering but some beers takes more than 8 weeks to really shine...
              ja, i shake my head sometimes. most of these homebrew comps (and there aren't many) are so poorly organized. i mean, this one is supposed to be a yearly thing so it's not like it was a last minute decision. with at least a years advanced knowledge, why wait until now to announce it, via email to a few select groups, with less than 8 weeks notice? not only that, but the website still has nothing. why not make a proper announcement in april/may and give people proper time to plan and get ready?

Comment

Originally posted by VenomZA View Post
                do you receive feedback on the judged beer? I wont mind entering a beer or 2 just to receive some feedback, as I highly doubt my beer will win a comp like this lol
                it's "bjcp sanctioned" so you should get feedback. having said that however, the first devil's peak comp was also supposedly bjcp sanctioned and i'm yet to get feedback a year later so you never know.

Comment

do you receive feedback on the judged beer?
                  Yes, you receive your completed score sheets. Usually between two and four score sheets, depending on how many judges was on a table.

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                    i mean, this one is supposed to be a yearly thing so it's not like it was a last minute decision. with at least a years advanced knowledge, why wait until now to announce it, via email to a few select groups, with less than 8 weeks notice?
                    I think they were hoping I would say that I would run it. Last year I said that I would do the comp (and a lot of other Worthogs things), but work is currently very busy, so I resigned from the committee, etc. They have approached me a few times to ask if I am available, but I declined every time. Hopefully next year I will be able to do more beer events and more judging.

And yes, why it was only announced now is a mystery. They could have set up the dates last year already.

I wonder how many entries will be allowed, I want to enter LOTS!

Comment

I wonder how many entries will be allowed, I want to enter LOTS!
                      Looks like last year only 2 were allowed.

Pity my RIS is overcarbed... would like to have entered it, and I will enter my English Bitters

Comment

I "found" beer in the cupboard last night... I forgot I was bottle conditioning it! I have to taste it and see if it is good enough for comp.

I have had good feedback regarding my African-American Brown and I still have a few bottles left, so I might enter that. Going to open the Cranberry Wheat some time this week. If it is good I might send that in.

I am also brewing something this weekend...

Will see what I think is good and send that in.

Comment

I "found" beer in the cupboard last night... I forgot I was bottle conditioning it!
                          I never have luck like that ... I rarely have enough beer to forget where it is... Sad I know.

Comment

I never have luck like that ... I rarely have enough beer to forget where it is... Sad I know.
                            me too. i know where every single bottle is.

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
                              me too. i know where every single bottle is.
                              I hide my beers away from myself. This makes them last longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X