PDA

View Full Version : winemaking

Andreas
10th December 2015, 10:49
Out of curiosity does anyone on the forum also make wine?http://wortsandall.co.za/images/icons/icon5.png

DieBaas
10th December 2015, 14:35
I've got a grape vine that I'm going to harvest in Feb and see if I can whip up a wine. I've been watering it almost exclusively with recycled beer and spent grains and last year's grapes were amazing.

Andreas
10th December 2015, 15:08
I made wine from mine last Feb, wine was pretty good. This year the heat killed my main vine, had to plant again

JIGSAW
10th December 2015, 20:38
Would love to try it some day.
Most of the Canadian beer brewers also make wine & apparently it's easier than beer, especially using the kits.
They also rave about how cheap it is, but I don't really find the kits here in SA something to be called cheap :o

Andreas
10th December 2015, 23:25
Dave at national food products is looking at importing reasonably priced kits next year. So might be worth it. Would love to try a kit, but brewcraft is the only place that stocks 30 bottle kits and they work out about the same as cheap wine...

defender110
11th December 2015, 05:10
I've got a grape vine that I'm going to harvest in Feb and see if I can whip up a wine. I've been watering it almost exclusively with recycled beer and spent grains and last year's grapes were amazing.
Recycled beer ?

defender110
11th December 2015, 05:12
There is a company somewhere in stellenbosch that supplies grape juice from local vineyards to home wine makers

DieBaas
11th December 2015, 05:15
Recycled beer ?
I drink lots of homebrew then I'm too lazy too walk to the toilet so I vacate my bladder on the vine. Best grapes I've had.

Andreas
11th December 2015, 07:06
There is a company somewhere in stellenbosch that supplies grape juice from local vineyards to home wine makers

Do you have a name for them? The only place I've found sells enough to make 60 bottles for R4000 without transport...

DieBaas
11th December 2015, 07:47
Do you have a name for them? The only place I've found sells enough to make 60 bottles for R4000 without transport...

Distillique has some DIY kits that is not nearly that expensive

http://distillique.co.za/distilling_shop/32-diy-kits

Andreas
11th December 2015, 07:54
Distillique has some DIY kits that is not nearly that expensive

http://distillique.co.za/distilling_shop/32-diy-kits

True, but the kit contains yeast, yeast nutrient, steriliser, oak chips, clarifier, an airlock, a fermenter and stabiliser. Bought one. Its awesome for when you have fruit at home or access to decent juice. Used it to make 12 bottles of Catawba Rosť from my own grapevine. Barbeton 's weather isn't good for european wine grapes, so that's all I can grow. Brewcraft has a range of wine expert kits that go for 865 and make 30 bottles of medium bodied wine, but have yet to try them...

jakeslouw
11th December 2015, 08:30
I only whine when my beer glass is empty.

Beer is way more complex in all respects: taste, process, etc

Andreas
11th December 2015, 10:20
I've always found winemaking to be an art while beer brewing is more of a science. With wine its very hard to make good wine from anything but good ingriedients. With beer you can make good beer from even marginal ingredients...IMHO

defender110
11th December 2015, 15:24
I drink lots of homebrew then I'm too lazy too walk to the toilet so I vacate my bladder on the vine. Best grapes I've had.
Lol ..........

defender110
11th December 2015, 15:28
I found them online a while ago and an in depth search today didn't bring them up , sorry
I do know that my wife's cousin , who makes wine at home , actually goes to wine farms and books the production of a certain section ( row , block or whatever ) and then harvests it himself for his wine making

Andreas
11th December 2015, 20:33
I found them online a while ago and an in depth search today didn't bring them up , sorry
I do know that my wife's cousin , who makes wine at home , actually goes to wine farms and books the production of a certain section ( row , block or whatever ) and then harvests it himself for his wine making

That's a good way of doing it

JIGSAW
11th December 2015, 23:32
Dave at national food products is looking at importing reasonably priced kits next year. So might be worth it. Would love to try a kit, but brewcraft is the only place that stocks 30 bottle kits and they work out about the same as cheap wine...

Yeah, these kits only do 15 bottles > http://www.beerlab.co.za/collections/cider-and-wine

Andreas
12th December 2015, 15:07
Yeah, these kits only do 15 bottles > http://www.beerlab.co.za/collections/cider-and-wine

Wouldn't mind trying one of those

CraftyZA
22nd December 2015, 06:15
Going to try my 1st one in feb as well. Also catawba. I usually use it for jelly for the kids, but this year it's my turn. Just not sure what the drought did tonthe harvest yet. I think it will have a very low yeild.

Andreas
22nd December 2015, 06:20
Going to try my 1st one in feb as well. Also catawba. I usually use it for jelly for the kids, but this year it's my turn. Just not sure what the drought did tonthe harvest yet. I think it will have a very low yeild.

Wouldn't surprise me. I know my vines hardly have any worthwhile grapes. Although one of the other winemakers in town seems to have more grapes than last year, just not sure how good the quality will be.

CraftyZA
22nd December 2015, 06:21
Wouldn't surprise me. I know my vines hardly have any worthwhile grapes. Although one of the other winemakers in town seems to have more grapes than last year, just not sure how good the quality will be.

Time will tell. Getting some lekker rain in centurion the last couple of days. Hope it is enough...

CraftyZA
29th January 2016, 18:05
Managed to start a 5L catawba wine experiment. Not the greatest of grapes, but this is an experiment after all. Using champaign yeast, so might make it a sparkling wine.
Just a question, to all of you that have tried to make a wine before, or have worked with Champaign yeast before.

How active it is supposed to be? I did not do a hydrometer test since this is purely messing around.
I'm in 36 hours, I have a nice krausen, but virtually no bubbles or fizzing. is this a very slow yeast?

Andreas
29th January 2016, 18:24
Champange yeast just ferments drier that most wine yeasts. Sometimes its very active, but not always... As long as fermentation is happening don't worry. Sparkling wine can be a little hard to do if you want to do a classic method, if you want to bottle like beer or cider it could work. Enjoy the experiment.

DieBaas
29th January 2016, 22:07
Champange yeast just ferments drier that most wine yeasts. Sometimes its very active, but not always... As long as fermentation is happening don't worry. Sparkling wine can be a little hard to do if you want to do a classic method, if you want to bottle like beer or cider it could work. Enjoy the experiment.
Invite me when it's done. I've been dying to make a since from my vine, but haven't had the patience

CraftyZA
29th January 2016, 22:31
Invite me when it's done. I've been dying to make a since from my vine, but haven't had the patience
Will do. I'm gonna age with oak winebarrel sawdust. It is much faster, but the binding breaks down after 3 months. Doubt this wine will see 3 months though...

Andreas
30th January 2016, 16:39
4.5 liters Catawba in secondary to clear. Still deciding if this batch will be oaked or just sweetend. Both options are very tasty.

CraftyZA
31st January 2016, 17:32
4.5 liters Catawba in secondary to clear. Still deciding if this batch will be oaked or just sweetend. Both options are very tasty.
That is so awesome! Mine is in only 3 days. very slow with the EC-1118 champagne yeast. Lalvin.
I did hydrate for 20 minutes with nutrients, but may have sort of kind of forget to aerate. oops
That said, I added about 2 teaspoons on a 5L batch. Should be plenty. It's not fizzing unless you tap the fv.
I've also added pectolase 6 hours before pitching. Should help with clarity. I hope.

@Andreas How do you oak? Just sawdust for 2 weeks, or do you have barrels? I've read that catawbas want to be in a barrel for up to 7 years for max flavour.

Andreas
31st January 2016, 18:12
I get oak chips from distillque and add in mesh bag that spends a day in vodac then put into wine for 2 weeks. That was plenty of oak taste as far as I'm concerned

Andreas
31st January 2016, 18:14
I've been looking at a small barrel, but every time I am about to order I get something else

Andreas
12th February 2016, 20:06
That is so awesome! Mine is in only 3 days. very slow with the EC-1118 champagne yeast. Lalvin.
I did hydrate for 20 minutes with nutrients, but may have sort of kind of forget to aerate. oops
That said, I added about 2 teaspoons on a 5L batch. Should be plenty. It's not fizzing unless you tap the fv.
I've also added pectolase 6 hours before pitching. Should help with clarity. I hope.

@Andreas How do you oak? Just sawdust for 2 weeks, or do you have barrels? I've read that catawbas want to be in a barrel for up to 7 years for max flavour.

How is the wine coming along?

CraftyZA
13th February 2016, 06:43
How is the wine coming along?

Cold crashing at 6 degrees since monday. It currently in stainless fv. Going to siphon into 5L water bottle today and hope it looks nice. If everything worked it should be clear with the pectolase enzymes. Will give it a taste today. Bit i'm also tempted to add a table spoon or 2 of oak shavings and leave another 2 weeks, then filter through coffee filters.
How does yours taste?

Andreas
13th February 2016, 07:51
How does yours taste?

A little dried than I'd planned, but will backsweeten it a bit and if all goes well bottle next week.
Congrads on yours

CraftyZA
13th February 2016, 22:32
Had a taste... Umm, lets put it this way. Chances are that next year I'm making jelly again with my harvest. Tastes like rotten grapes, A crapload load of tannin, with a touch of vinegar.
Gonna try and save it by adding a smoothing agent, sweeten it a bit, and adding oak shavings for 2 weeks.

Andreas
13th February 2016, 22:34
Had a taste... Umm, lets put it this way. Chances are that next year I'm making jelly again with my harvest. Tastes like rotten grapes, A crapload load of tannin, with a touch of vinegar.
Gonna try and save it by adding a smoothing agent, sweeten it a bit, and adding oak shavings for 2 weeks.

Ouch. Had that happen with half a batch of fruit wine last year, hope you can save it...

CraftyZA
13th February 2016, 22:36
I was told catawba shines after 5 - 7 years in oak barrel...
Now consider beer. 1 week carbing, and 2 weeks conditioning. Now imagine waiting 5 years...

Andreas
13th February 2016, 22:44
I was told catawba shines after 5 - 7 years in oak barrel...
Now consider beer. 1 week carbing, and 2 weeks conditioning. Now imagine waiting 5 years...

Thats why I started brewing beer, it keeps me entertained while the wine is crawling along.

CraftyZA
14th February 2016, 08:04
Ok, I'm just a little curios. It went into a 5L plastic bottle yesterday. This morning I had a look, and bottle was puckered up like a teenage queen posing a selfie.
the "wort" was cold when i transfered it. I think the difference would have been like 3 degrees at most. So my assumption: oxidation. LOTS of it.
Is this wanted? Will this kill some of the off tastes? The off tastes are not foreign. it is definatly related to wine. it is the taste of rotten grapes (and you get this in cheap commercial wines as well sometimes) too much tannins. The sour I can live with. It is essentially grapes without sugar. Also, I may have added a couple of grapes that was not optimal ripe, but only a purple/green hue.
I will leave it for another day, and see if it happens again. if it does, then it confirms a heavy oxidation process.
So i just need to find out if oxidation is bad in wine as it is in beer?

I'm cold crashing again, and will add oak after the second siphon. (given i solved the oxidation issue)

Andreas
14th February 2016, 11:42
Oxidation is kinda wanted, when wine is put into a barrel it micro oxideses, too much can make the wine yucky, just enough will make it awesome. If you can, after oaking put it into a container or bottle it and forget about it for 6 months. Try it again then, it should be alot better.

wetdog
16th February 2016, 15:52
If any of you end up with bad wine you want to throw away then contact me. I will collect anywhere in the Cape Town, Stellies, Somerset, Paarl, Franshoek area. If the alcohol level is above 10% then it makes for a great distill. I need 18 l to get 4.5 l of Grappa at 50% proof all for own use of course.