Conditioning Beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conditioning Beer

Once the fermentation process is finished is it OK to keg and then immediately put the keg in the fridge to cold crash or is it better to keg the beer and leave it for a couple of weeks at room temperature to mature / condition? After x days you then put keg in fridge?

Cold crash the fermenter as low as you can go (2ēC) for a couple of days after fermentation to clear ... then immediately keg & put the keg back in a cold fridge & connected to the CO˛ - unless you gonna lager.
    I don't think there's a reason to keep the keg at room temp unless you carbing with sugar/DME
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Probably depends on the style, for anything lite I would not condition. however for other heavier beers such as bocks, and imperial beers etc I see no problem leaving it out for a bit.
      So i would say it depends on the style.

Comment

Also true ,,, Probably more cellar temp than room temp ... especially this time of year?
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

yeah probably a room that doesnt get above 18 would be the best? im not sure?
          However i have a bock thats almost 6 months in the coldest room in our place, dont think it ever gets above 22 in there. had one tonight, was still very good!
          I spoke to a old man that had a cellar, he said any room that doesnt get direct sun on it will work fine as a place to store beer/wine, if thats something to go by.

Comment

I'd say if you are going to store at "room" temperature before you cold crash, then nothing over 20 deg C. In other words, around the mid-point level for most ale yeasts.

But the beer will condition just as well at 2-8 deg C in a fridge.

Comment

Working...
            X