Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hop Filter for Boil Kettle

Hi All,

I am busy sourcing items for my electric brewery clone build and I am struggling to find hop filter for the boil kettle. The Electric Brewery website does ship to SA but the price of the filter is just too high, and thats before delivery and customs. I have found some different options here but they are all geared as alternatives to false bottoms so they probably won't filter out all the trube etc. in the boil.

Does anyone know where I can source a good quality stainless steel filter that i can fit in my boil kettle? I have seen another item that is a steel basket for hops, you just hang it off the side of the kettle, but I haven't been able to find something like it locally, and it may not work as I may do smaller batches and the basket may not hang into the wort.

I got a ss strainer from makro. It could be finer but it does keep a lot of hop matter contained and allows for a good boil in the strainer. I hang it on the side of the pot (I always do max boils) but one could figure a way to suspend it in the middle on the correct level.

PRODUCT-PHOTOGRAPHY-ZACK-BURRIS-CHICAGO-STRAINER-2.jpg

Comment

Is it not a viable option to use a small muslin bag, like is used for dry-hopping or adjuncts in the ferment? I'm sure that if it was bound tightly it would do?

muslin bag.JPG
      Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Make friends with a geologist. They can source sieves of various grades.

I don't bother with a hop spider or filter for the boil. This is my 300 micron sieve before it goes into the fermenter. Also does a good job of aerating the wort.

Anything finer is almost impossible to use.

Btw, this specific sieve is over 40 years old. I walked nearly 400km across the Transvaal during school holidays taking soil samples for my dad.

I still have the full set of 6 sieves.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454005150.058099.jpg
        Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

Would something like this work? I think the screen may not be fine enough to filter out the hops et al.

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/tubescreen12.htm

Comment

I tried a hop bag on a few batches and the hops did not work as well, the bitterness and aroma were affected. The hops tend to clump inside the bag and the extraction was certainly not good enough. I don't use them any longer. I let the wort settle and leave most of the trub and hops in the bottom of the boil kettle; some do go through to the fermenter but it apparently provides good nutrients for the yeast.
            I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

Comment

Originally posted by SimonB View Post

Btw, this specific sieve is over 40 years old. I walked nearly 400km across the Transvaal during school holidays taking soil samples for my dad.

I still have the full set of 6 sieves.

[ATTACH]1058[/ATTACH]
              looking for what? Gold or diamonds?

Comment

why do you want to filter? just cold crash and siphon with just a little bit of care?

Comment

Originally posted by VenomZA View Post
                  why do you want to filter? just cold crash and siphon with just a little bit of care?
                  To maximise the amount of wort that goes into the kettle.

In my system it's only really needed right a the end for the last bit

Comment

Hop Filter for Boil Kettle

Originally posted by VenomZA View Post
                    looking for what? Gold or diamonds?
                    Indicator minerals for gold

Comment

I am going to gooi a klip in the proverbial bush and ask if filtering is a crucial step for you?

Marshall from Brulosophy has done several experiments related to what happens when you leave kettle trub in the fermenter vs filtering it out. Check the articles out here and here

I do not bother anymore. I just gooi the whole kettle into my no-chill and from there into the fermenter. I just let the fermenter stand for another two or three weeks and everything drops crystal clear!
                      For things I'm selling:
                      - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
                      - I am located in Pretoria East
                      - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

Comment

I don't generally filter either, but I use a stainless steel tea strainer for my bittering hops.
                        Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
                        Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Originally posted by getack View Post
                          I am going to gooi a klip in the proverbial bush and ask if filtering is a crucial step for you?

Marshall from Brulosophy has done several experiments related to what happens when you leave kettle trub in the fermenter vs filtering it out. Check the articles out here and here

I do not bother anymore. I just gooi the whole kettle into my no-chill and from there into the fermenter. I just let the fermenter stand for another two or three weeks and everything drops crystal clear!
                          That's how I've done it from the beginning ... Like they say, You learn from those that perfected it before you
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

My turn a round is quick, 6 to 7 days fermentor keg to pour in 2 days whether or not I use a hop strainer. In my case I use the strainer to maximize yeild from the kettle and to ensure my 45 plus litres fit in my 50 litre fermentor.

Comment

Originally posted by getack View Post

I will give those articles a look, thanks. But, my need to filter in the kettle is two fold. I currently filter my beer after fermentation as I transfer into the kegs since I force carb, so I want to prevent clogging up my 1um filters quickly. I know i could filter with a courser one first then only go through my 1um but that feels like admin, and I also want to maximise the amount of wort I transfer out of the kettle into the fermenter.

The reason this hasn't been an issue before is I am switching from extract to all grain and building up a brew system. I used to put the hops in a hop bag and throw that into the fermenter or I would boil a hop tea and pour that through a strainer before use.

Comment

Working...
                              X