Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 3rd Ale bottled this weekend

I think this is the one I would like to replicate
    The previous 2 had too much hops and quite heavy beers.
    uploadfromtaptalk1460479685299.jpg
    Og was 1050 and Fg 1010
    17°c fermenteduploadfromtaptalk1460480259845.jpguploadfromtaptalk1460480387233.jpguploadfromtaptalk1460480435384.jpguploadfromtaptalk1460480455843.jpg
    15L bottled
    1 week in primary
    5 days in secondary
    Cold crashed for 2 days
    I got myself a bunch of Grolsch bottles but it was fun getting them empty as well.
    So now this silly 2 weeks wait

A few pics

uploadfromtaptalk1460480195846.jpguploadfromtaptalk1460480221227.jpguploadfromtaptalk1460480259845.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum Fanus. Yeah, the waiting is the other crap part of this hobby
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Be careful boiling some of the SA hops cultivars for 60 minutes: pronounced grassy notes are released.

Comment

I will keep that in mind thanks Jakeslow

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
          Be careful boiling some of the SA hops cultivars for 60 minutes: pronounced grassy notes are released.
          Could you elaborate? Which ones?

Comment

If you're using any pre-isomerized hops(PIH), you only need to add that 10-15 minutes before the end.

I know a few brewers that take it as a given that SAB hops should be added no earlier than 45 minutes before the end of the boil. I've heard a couple of explanations, normally to reduce the harsh bitterness and/or khakibos flavours.

The one hop that might be an exception is XJA. I've been using XJA a lot lately with 60 minute boils with no noticable khakibos flavour or harsh bitterness.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Comment

That is interesting. I have always added all my SAB hops at 60min. I did not 'take it as given'; is this what other brewers do? On reflection I do notice a khakibos kind of taste. So back to the bittering - if I only boil for 45 min must I add more hops to get the IBU I want and something like Beersmith to calculate this?
              I spent 90% of my money on brewing and drinking beer and the other 10% I wasted

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                - if I only boil for 45 min must I add more hops to get the IBU I want and something like Beersmith to calculate this?
                Absolutely. The Beersmith alpha and beta acid calculation is very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                  That is interesting. I have always added all my SAB hops at 60min. I did not 'take it as given'; is this what other brewers do? On reflection I do notice a khakibos kind of taste. So back to the bittering - if I only boil for 45 min must I add more hops to get the IBU I want and something like Beersmith to calculate this?
                  If you whirlpool at the end op the boil you do not really need to adjust your bittering addition. The isomeration continuous as long as your temperatures are above ~ 78C.
                  If you cool immediately you might need to adjust it a smidgen, but most of the isomeration happens within the first 30 min.
                  But if you have software, you can confirm.

Comment

Now that you called it khakibos flavour Kingcur I just had to go and open one.
                    It is still flat as expected but had a nice hiss when I popped the lid.
                    I must say this beer is very much drinkable but I may detect a hint of the khakibos a few seconds later in the after taste. I will let you know by next weekend if it is still the like that. At this stage I'm very pleased but you know bias is a bitch. [emoji41]

uploadfromtaptalk1460647106743.jpg

Comment

Cognative bias is one of my pet subjects.

I've never personally noticed the the khakibos flavour before, but it's something that some brewers I respect mentioned.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X