Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver solder

Hi all

I want to find out whether any one of you guys has silver soldered fittings to your brew kettle/mash tun/HLT? I have seen quite a few YouTube videos on the subject and it seems like it would be a cheaper alternative to welding. Does any of you know where to find silver solder and stainless steel flux in the Cape Town area?

You should be able to get it in any Mica. Just keep in mind it's a little harder to silver solder (says the guy who saw a youtube video and tought this would be as easy as they made it look).
    Do you want to be good or be praised - Epicurus
    Do what you do to the best of your ability, and blessings will follow you

Comment

Why not go weldless. No reason for any fixed fittings.

None of my fittings are fixed.

That being said it is possible to silver solder but stainless requires tremendous heat and skill to solder.

Not something I would do

Sent from my F35 Lightning II using Tapatalk
      Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Comment

well we use to have boat and we use to do a lot of welding with a normal arc welder the stainless was marine stainless (316) pretty much the hardest you get.
        all you need to do is buy stainless welding rods.

Comment

If you want to silver solder SS you need plenty of heat, it is brassing. I use a product called techniloy to solder SS. It is a South African product, the solder is tin based and you can use normal a copper solder heat source. About 170 degrees C. The nice is you get SS and aluminium flax for it. Works like normal copper solder once you get the hang of it and it joins copper to SS easy.
          Setsumi
          Last edited by Setsumi; 14 May 2016, 17:46. Reason: Spell checker!!!!!

Comment

The photo is a 54mm copper slip joint or union soldered to a SS dome shaped lid with techniloy.

Comment

^
              Screenshot_1.jpg

??
              The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. I will definitely have a look at the techniloy.

Comment

Don't know what happened... try again?DSC_0107.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X