Chillers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chillers

Hi guys. I currently have an imersion chiller. I visited beerlab today and in conversation with the staff it cam to my attention that when using a keggle it will take to long a period to cool wort because the keg retains its heat tooo well.

Now i was advised that a plate chiller is the answer or a counter flow chiller. Please advise i would love to hear your thoughts.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

i use an immersion chiller with my keggle and it works just fine. cools down in 20 mins or so.

Comment

Cleaning and inspecting an immersion chiller is easy, plate or counter flow chiller is not.

Comment

I have recently started chilling with an immersion chiller (no chill method before) in my keggle and it seems to work well.

Comment

And you need a pump that can handle hot wort.

Comment

Originally posted by DonOne View Post
            Hi guys. I currently have an imersion chiller. I visited beerlab today and in conversation with the staff it cam to my attention that when using a keggle it will take to long a period to cool wort because the keg retains its heat tooo well.

Now i was advised that a plate chiller is the answer or a counter flow chiller. Please advise i would love to hear your thoughts.

My opinion is that they're trying to sell you stuff you don't need

I use an immersion chiller and my batches are 50-75L

If your cooling water is cold enough, then no worries.

Comment

Thanks guys im sticking with my immersion chiller then

Comment

I use an immersion chiller too, but I stick my keggle in a basin of cold water, replacing warm water now and then. After the second replacement of water in the basin, I chuck a few large ice bricks in and it cools down supa-quick.
                Slainte Mhaith!!

Comment

Damn, my keggle is way to heavy to lift it off of the burner and move it elsewhere
                  The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

What if we freeze a couple of coke bottles, and let them sanitize the last 10 minutes of your boil? Then drop them inside to cool the wort. I recon 4 or 5 of them will do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                      Damn, my keggle is way to heavy to lift it off of the burner and move it elsewhere
                      Yeah I wanna see somebody move 50kg of hot wort let alone consider how much ice water I need

Comment

Originally posted by CraftyZA View Post
                        What if we freeze a couple of coke bottles, and let them sanitize the last 10 minutes of your boil? Then drop them inside to cool the wort. I recon 4 or 5 of them will do the job.
                        so you want to freeze water, then drop frozen water bottles into boiling wort for 10 minutes? or what?

Comment

Chillers

No.
                          The idea is that you sanitize them for 10 minutes in a cold water and sanitizer solution. Then drop them in the wort.

Frozen coke bottles should chill it really fast.
                          CraftyZA
                          Last edited by CraftyZA; 27 October 2016, 09:11.

Comment

Two words:

No Chill
                            For things I'm selling:
                            - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
                            - I am located in Pretoria East
                            - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

Comment

Originally posted by getack View Post
                              Two words:

No Chill
                              One word:
                              Dangerous
                              [emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                              X