Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howzit

Howzit All,

My name is Bruce and I have just moved back to a small community in the Central Berg in KZN.
    I have been lucky enough to meet the awesome guys and gals from East Coast Brewers in KZN.
    I have been brewing on and off for many years until I lost my equipment to a hail storm. I now do 7l extract brews in my wifes cooking pots.
    I have about R6000 paying out in the next month or two and want to use it to start getting equipment again.
    I'm thinking of a 76l Brew Engineer Pot with false bottom and accessories and for now focus on BIAB and slowly buy equipment with the eventual goal of having a three tier system.

I have gone through the experimental stage and brewed some silly IPA's and high alc stouts, but all I want to brew now is decent session beers to enjoy in the evenings.

Cheers,

SB

G'day Bruce

There is a miscreant home brewer just near the Drakensburg Sun that is starting up his brewery. Is that you? Place next to the river?

Comment

Hi Jakes, no its not me.
      There are now two guys wanting to start breweries in the berg.
      The one you mention has hops growing near the river.

Comment

OK cool. Start a club there?

Comment

I'm going for drinks with the other brewer this weekend. Will be worth while looking at it.
          I've had a couple of Bardy's beers, my pops showed them to me.
          Looking forward to meeting him one day

Comment

Originally posted by snowbeast View Post
            I'm going for drinks with the other brewer this weekend. Will be worth while looking at it.
            I've had a couple of Bardy's beers, my pops showed them to me.
            Looking forward to meeting him one day
            BARDY that's his name. tried to touch bases with him over the 16Dec weekend but he was gallivanting.

Comment

Hi Bruce!

I am trying hard not to do a Monty Python joke here!

Welcome!

That pot sounds good, but I am not a BIAB brewer, so I can't say much more

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

A 76L BIAB pot will give around 45L batches on average, maximum.

(Based on around 100 batches so far).

Ignore the false floor and get a full-height, full width perforated stainless steel basket made up.
                Normal extruded mesh will work, because you should use voile material inside the basket as the grain filter.

The basket must have a handle with a eyelet so that you can use a rope&pulley or a winch: a 45L batch will have more than 20kgs of wet grain and you don't just lift that out easily.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                  A 76L BIAB pot will give around 45L batches on average, maximum.

(Based on around 100 batches so far).

Ignore the false floor and get a full-height, full width perforated stainless steel basket made up.
                  Normal extruded mesh will work, because you should use voile material inside the basket as the grain filter.

The basket must have a handle with a eyelet so that you can use a rope&pulley or a winch: a 45L batch will have more than 20kgs of wet grain and you don't just lift that out easily.

Where would one get such a basket made? Asking ..... uhm for a friend...
                  Primary: APA
                  Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                  Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                  Next up: world domination

Comment

Originally posted by DieBaas View Post
                    Where would one get such a basket made? Asking ..... uhm for a friend...
                    I have a contact. Jonathan Waters. He'll make you anything in SS that you want AND he's well priced.

Comment

Originally posted by jakeslouw View Post
                      I have a contact. Jonathan Waters. He'll make you anything in SS that you want AND he's well priced.
                      Price estimate for a basket for a 50L logic urn?
                      Primary: APA
                      Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
                      Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
                      Next up: world domination

Comment

I reckon under R1k

Contact him:

Jonathan Waters
                        071 670 5802

jonathanwaters@vodamail.co.za

Comment

And better yet Baas, Jonathan is based in Centurion. He really is very helpful
                          Cheers

Jacques

Comment

That is good news. I just had to throw away a large brewbag. The marula pulp completely blocked it.
                            Even after a wash.

Comment

@DieBaas, did you ever get a quote on this basket? Might be interested myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X