Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you buy?

Hi Guys,

Still new here but I was wondering, where do buy your grains and hops?

I know that you can buy from your local brewhouse or brewshop and this is what I will be doing for a considerable amount of time in my babysteps of homebrewing.

But in future and if I want to brew on a much larger scale then obviously I will buy larger amounts of grains and hops. So the question came to mind where to get this?

Can you buy directly from South African grain farms or atleast the people that malt the barley. As well as the hop farms and yeast suppliers?

Is most of it only imported or how does it work? For instance, a micro/macro brewery certainly doesn't buy from their local brewshop? They should have a set range of suppliers?

This question requires a few answers; here we go!

Most of the home brewers buy from LHBS. If you want to buy larger volumes, start by asking them if you can order larger volumes through them, and get a volume discount.

Grains: Yes, you can buy direct from SAB Maltings. They sell in 50 kg bags. You can also buy bags from many of the importers, like Brewmaster, Brewmart and some others. The importers usually sell in 25 or 50 kg bags. All of them will have a minimum order size.

Hops: You can also buy from SAB Hop Farms, or you can contact importers like Brewmaster, Africa Hops. I assume they also have minimum orders.

Yeast: You cannot buy yeast from SAB (their old yeast goes to become Marmite and other products). You can purchase yeast from Brewmaster. I am not sure of any other companies that sell bigger volumes, but I am sure they exist. You can also buy from Anchor Yeast. You can also import (buy direct) from companies like Whitelabs, etc.

Comment

Awesome thanks Atron, I will keep that in mind. I am going to buy my stuff from brewmart at the moment as they are close to and help willingly. Thanks for the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X