Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary, secondary.... Come again!?

Like the Title reads...

What does that mean? Might be a stupid question but hey, I'm yet to brew my first batch so to me it is a brilliant question.

I imagine you're talking about fermentation, or more specifically fermenters?

There are a few phases of the average beer fermentation.
    1. Lag phase - yeast is acclimatizing to it's environment and preparing for fermentation
    2. Exponential growth phase - yeast reproduces rapidly and consumes sugar, producing alcohol and CO2 (and various byproducts)
    3. Conditioning phase - yeast activity slows down and some of the byproducts are reabsorbed. Yeast flocculates and beer clears.

Some brewers prefer to move the beer from a primary fermenter (used for the lag and exponential growth phases) to a secondary fermenter for the conditioning phase. Some reasons for this are:

- Producing a clearer beer
    - Getting the beer off the yeast cake to prevent possible autolysis
    - moving to a fermenter with lower oxygen permeability for long term conditioning

It can be beneficial but is not strictly necessary. Each time you move your beer you run the risk of introducing an infection. I think it depends on the style of beer you are making/what kind of fermentation schedule you are using.

Comment

No such thing as a stupid question!

After a week or two of normal fermentation most of the yeast would have settled down on the bottom of your fermentor. This is known as "primary fermentation" since most of the fermentation takes place during this stage.

The practice of doing a secondary fermentation is to rack (transfer) the beer to a new fermentor so that beer does not sit on the settled out yeast cake for extended periods of time. This supposedly helps to improve flavour and so on.

In reality a secondary phase has very little effect. A scientific exBEERiment have confirmed this (http://brulosophy.com/2014/08/12/pri...iment-results/)

Don't waste your time with it. Don't listen to what others are claiming. First make sure you make an actual batch of beer, that it is good enough that you like to drink it and that you can reliably repeat the recipe. After that try to get your friends to drink it. If they do you know you are on the right track. Get your technique and process down before getting bogged down with stuff like secondaries or oxygentation or yest starters or whatever.
      For things I'm selling:
      - I can be contacted at homebrewer at dline dot co dot za
      - I am located in Pretoria East
      - I am always open to reasonable offers, especially if you are picking up more than one thing I'm selling.

Comment

Agree with the rest, if you are not making a super high gravity beer or a Lager then there is no need for a secondary.

And even with those it is not strictly necessary.

GET BREWING!
        Primary: APA
        Bottled: Quad, tripel, K@K red ale
        Keg 1: Weiss. 2: Weiss. Keg 3: Air. Keg 4: Air
        Next up: world domination

Comment

Thanks all! Noted!

So the book of recipes that I have and obviously the first brew I will make is in that book which is a Southern brown ale. It's a quick brew because it only takes 4 weeks. So Now that I kinda understand the prim and sec.

This particular recipe will call for 1 week fermentation(Primary I suppose) and then bottle/keg for 3 weeks condition( Is this secondary?)

Comment

The conditioning in the keg/bottle is called refermentation or bottle conditioning.

The basic process is leave it to ferment for around a week for primary fermentation. It may take longer or shorter so take gravity readings to confirm when fermentation is complete. Let it sit for a few extra days if you are unsure...no harm will come and more of the yeast will flocculate.

Then bottle or keg with priming sugar and leave it for 2 weeks or so to referment and carbonate.

Comment

Don't go by 'x' number of days or weeks fermentation.
              Get a hydrometer and measure the gravity of your beer.
              Once there is no change for a few days fermentation has finished and you are ready to bottle.
              What you describe in your post above is not secondary, it is bottle/keg conditioning. Quite different.

Comment

quite honestly, don't even contemplate secondary fermentation at this point. it's really just a waste of time and effort with very little, if any, benefit.

Comment

Ahhh ok, I kinda get it now.

Ok then I am not going to worry about secondary.

My Process will then just go from mash-wort boil-ferment(Primary)-bottle.

Thanks gents. I do have a hydrometer so I will keep checking the ferment until it get stagnent and bottle I suppose.

Comment

If you are worried about having a clearer beer, just invest in a sediment separator. I bought 1 for R10 and its made as much difference in giving me clearer cider as a secondary did. The separator basically just prevents the taps from pulling any wort from the bottom of the vessel when bottling.
                    Attached Files
                    Snot0ssie
                    Last edited by Snot0ssie; 4 May 2017, 08:25.

Comment

Thats brilliant, where did you buy that?

Originally posted by Snot0ssie View Post
                      If you are worried about having a clearer beer, just invest in a sediment separator. I bought 1 for R10 and its made as much difference in giving me clearer cider as a secondary did. The separator basically just prevents the taps from pulling any wort from the bottom of the vessel when bottling.

Comment

I bought it at the http://thehomebrewshop.co.za
                        I think brewcraft also sells it, and you should be able to make a diy solution with a pvc pipe and end fitting probably

Comment

Even better yet, get rid of the tap and invest in an auto-siphon
                          The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                            Even better yet, get rid of the tap and invest in an auto-siphon
                            I just checked in out on youtube without sound so not sure if they mention it or not, but how do you prevent is from sucking up the sediment at the bottom, do you judge it by eye?

Comment

Originally posted by Snot0ssie View Post
                              I just checked in out on youtube without sound so not sure if they mention it or not, but how do you prevent is from sucking up the sediment at the bottom, do you judge it by eye?
                              theres a cap at the bottom that prevents it from drawing sediment. essentially it draws from the sides: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/02...G?v=1452123716

Comment

Working...
                              X