Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello world

Hello everyone!

I'm so chuffed to have found a South African homebrew forum.

Ive just started brewing recently, did a few extract kits with a friend but that didnt really satisfy me, felt like im just making oros and fermenting it so i've jumped into all-grain brewing (Biab). Made a rooibos IpA which is busy bottle conditioning. First taste out of the fermenter says ive flopped it slighly (too much hops, too little rooibos) but its still drinkable.

Looking forward to learning from you all!

Originally posted by Jaquesdrum View Post
    ...too much hops...
    umm i understand those words separately but together they make no sense...

Comment

Welcome jacques, all grain the wsy to go

Comment

Welcome
        The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
          umm i understand those words separately but together they make no sense...
          I tend to agree with you, just i was hoping to get some rooibos aroma or something, ah well, thats how we learn!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaquesdrum View Post
            ... i was hoping to get some rooibos aroma ...
            When did you add your rooibos?

Comment

5 mins before the end of my boil, then i let it steep for a couple of minutes before cold crashing. I also dumped 50g in my fermenter.

Comment

Interesting. I ask because I have done a few rooibos beers and have always added it as a 'dry hop' post fermentation.
                I've always found that I get quite a bit of flavour and aroma with relatively little added (5-6 standard tea bags).

Comment

Originally posted by robcass View Post
                  Interesting. I ask because I have done a few rooibos beers and have always added it as a 'dry hop' post fermentation.
                  I've always found that I get quite a bit of flavour and aroma with relatively little added (5-6 standard tea bags).
                  I actually opened a bottle last night (curiousity got the best of me) It fermented two weeks and has now spent a week bottle conditioning. The hop bitterness "mellowed out" a bit and i'm actually starting to pick up some rooibos aroma and flavour. I guess i was just a little bit impatient initially.

Comment

Welcome!

Just to add some counter evidence to Rob:I have made rooibos blonde where I had the tea in the kettle for the whole boil and that worked out fine.

Rooibos IPA sounds interesting!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks! Ill post an update with my recipe once it's finished bottle conditioning.

Comment

Working...
                      X