Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• big bag for biab

Hey there

I use a 50l urn to do biab, problem is my last bag was torn by my dogs trying to get to the spent grain, i bought the bags along time ago from brewmart. Recently i tried getting from brewcraft but the bag was too,small, does anyone know where i could get or make a plan. I dont just want to get another from brewmart cause the delivery to middelburg will be more than the bag

Other option is to buy a substantial amount of goods from brewmart cause brewmarts service is great

I made my bag - used voille (basically mesh curtain material) and cotton seam tape. Works a treat.

For a 50L bag would suggest you use a few runs of seam tape to support the weight of wet grain

Comment

+1 I also made my own from voile.

DSCF2765.jpg

DSCF2766.jpg

Used THIS guide
      The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
        +1 I also made my own from voile.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1459[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1460[/ATTACH]

Used THIS guide
        i have to have one! you dont happen to have extra lying around you're willing to part with?

Comment

Sorry - but you can buy it by the meter from Kehl's or pretty much any fabric shop.

Comment

Originally posted by that guy al View Post
            i have to have one! you dont happen to have extra lying around you're willing to part with?
            Nope sorry.

Comment

We also stitch ours from Voile.

Top Tip: don't use cotton thread, the acidity of the wort and the heat of the mash degrades the thread over time.

Use proper nylon thread.

And we double-stitch each seam.

Biggest batch was 75L

Yes, 75L.

I use an electrical winch to lift the bag...........

Comment

Im brewing a Blonde to test this bag. It might be a little bit coarse but at R40 from Dischem its worth the try or as a spare bag. Its perfect for a 30 or 50 L keg
                2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                  Im brewing a Blonde to test this bag. It might be a little bit coarse but at R40 from Dischem its worth the try or as a spare bag. Its perfect for a 30 or 50 L keg
                  Post pics of the post mash clarity. I assume you aren't recirculating? Also let us know if it affected your efficiency.

Comment

Unfortunately I didnt take pics, no change in efficiency. OG spot on as per Beersmith.Will try to remember to take pics of the next brew.
                    2017 SANHC-Finals-German Pilsner.2019 Academy of Taste-1st Lager +1st Overall-German Leichtbier.2019 Free State Fermenters-1st Place-Australian Sparkling Ale.2019 SANHC-Final Round-German Leichtbier.2020 SANHC-Top 5-EishBock.2021 SANHC-Low Alcohol Cat: 2nd-2%Lager, Over All Cat: 2nd-Schwarzbier.2022 Free State Fermenters-1st-American light Lager.2022 Fools and Fans National Competition-Top 5-Dunkles Bock

Comment

gotta get me one of those

Comment

Originally posted by Harhm View Post
                        Nice find

Did it hold the grain ok? ... no pieces floating in the boil?

PS: do they have the smaller bags as well that one might use for hops?

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                          Nice find [emoji106]

Did it hold the grain ok? ... no pieces floating in the boil?

PS: do they have the smaller bags as well that one might use for hops?
                          It seems to be quite strong, and it only streches to the sides.

The trub do seem a bit coarser than normal but not to the extent that I had too much trub.

I did a 10 min whirlpool (read stir for 5 min and stand for 5) and had a good trub bed in the bottom of the keg (my diptube is close to the side of the keg so that helps)

Yes there was a smaler size, about 1/2 the size I think (sorry, cant remember)

So far Im happy to use it as a spare, will use it a few times to see if there is any changes in the beer or bottling volumes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
                          Harhm
                          Last edited by Harhm; 9 November 2017, 05:56.

Comment

^ Thanks

Comment

Thanks for letting us know, I bought a few of each today to try.

Comment

Working...
                              X