Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SA Hop Rhizomes

Found this on the Brewmart FB Page ....

Hi all, we have been very fortunate to have been offered hops rhizomes to share with the HOME BREWERS. The cultivars are s-promise and s-passion if i am not mistaken. We are expecting them to be delivered this Friday. There are about 40 rhizomes in total. Assuming everything happens according to plan, we will make them available this Saturday 16 September at both of the stores. The plants have been donated are offered at no charge to the brewing community on the condition that 1. you send a photo of yourself and the plant once you have planted it, 2. plants and extra cuttings that are made from the stock is given away at no charge to another person wanting to try their hand at growing hops. 3 we can only give one rhizome per person. it is on a first come, first get for walk in customers. please share this post if you know of someone interested.
    Screenshot_15.jpg
    The Problem With The World Is That Everyone Is A Few Drinks Behind.!

New update (bad news) ....

Hi all, i have a little bad news about the hops..... unfortunately we won't be receiving them anymore. If you are looking for plants, Mountain Herb Estate between pretoria and harties occasionally sell plants. http://www.herbgarden.co.za
    Screenshot_24.jpg

Comment

Hops rhizomes in SA

Good day. I can supply hops rizomes, I'm close to Pretoria. gert.vdwaal@gmail.com

Comment

@Gert van der WaalWelcome

Comment

Originally posted by Gert van der Waal View Post
          Good day. I can supply hops rizomes, I'm close to Pretoria. gert.vdwaal@gmail.com
          I have reached out to Gert and will try and get some hops growing down here in Cape Town.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty View Post
            I have reached out to Gert and will try and get some hops growing down here in Cape Town.
            I recon the climate would be fine, they are grown in the George area and even on a rooftop in JHB, so its definitely possible.

Comment

There's even a farm on the way to Wellington, Cape that's growing hops ... you can see from the road ... Not sure if they sell or if it's for own use.

Comment

Hmn, that is interesting. Which road is that? And on which side of the road when heading in which direction?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty View Post
                  Hmn, that is interesting. Which road is that? And on which side of the road when heading in which direction?

This was years ago tho ... On the R44 direction Wellington on the left ... I think it was at the Florida Farm Stall.

Comment

Originally posted by JIGSAW View Post
                    This was years ago tho ... On the R44 direction Wellington on the left ... I think it was at the Florida Farm Stall.
                    Florida Farm Stall ?? Brilliant pies there..
                    Will have a look next time for the hopses.

Comment

See some of the rhizomes I have send out two weeks back are already sprouting all over SA (KZN, Freestate, Western Cape, Gauteng)!
                      Gert van der Waal
                      Last edited by Gert van der Waal; 15 September 2021, 14:25. Reason: spelling

Comment

Nice

Any pics to share ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gert van der Waal View Post
                          See some of the rhizomes I have send out two weeks back are already sprouting all over SA (KZN, Freestate, Western Cape, Gauteng)!
                          Its a good time to be planting them now. We dont really have winter where I live so I doubt they would do well here.

Comment

I while back I looked into growing hops.. and learned that these plants don't like too much wind.
                            Where I live the South Easter blows like hectic. Unless I can have them in a 5m high enclosure it is not going to work for me .. just saying.

Comment

Working...
                            X